UPDATE: One lane of I-40 reopens after tractor trailer crash in Forsyth Co.

Report of baby abandoned in NC dumpster a hoax, according to police

Infant baby birth pregnancy generic (Stock photo)

KANNAPOLIS, N.C. — A woman reported that she found a newborn Friday afternoon in a dumpster outside a McDonald’s, according to the Kannapolis Independent Tribune.

But, Kannapolis Police Chief Woody Chavis told WSOC-TV that there were questions surrounding the story and later determined the story was a hoax.

Police said a 21-year-old woman admitted to self-delivering the child sometime earlier in the day at her home in Concord.

The woman said she left the McDonald’s at on Cannon Boulevard around 1:30 p.m. and heard a baby crying near the dumpster.

“After viewing security footage it appears that the baby was not ever placed near the dumpster at the McDonald’s in Kannapolis,” Chavis said.

The woman took the baby to Carolinas Medical Center – Northeast. Police said the baby is okay.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 27,881 other followers