World Cup schedule
FOX World Cup scores

Discarded cigarette butts on plastic table sparks house fire in Greensboro

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

GREENSBORO, N.C. -- A home was destroyed by a fire early Wednesday morning in Greensboro.

Crews responded to the scene at 3548 Riverside Drive around 1:51 a.m. to find the house fully engulfed in flames. The fire was called in by a passing motorist on nearby Business 85 and nearby neighbors.

Two adults and a toddler were able to escape the home safely. The homeowner was treated for minor burns on his hands and feet. No serious injuries were reported.

Fire investigators say they believe the fire was caused by cigarette butts that were improperly disposed of on a plastic table on the deck. The investigation is ongoing.

The home was heavily damaged, but officials say it was not a total loss.


Comments are closed.