CENTENNIAL, Colo. -- A woman said “I do” just days after she and her maid of honor were forced to jump from their burning apartment.
Lenise Ruff always knew her wedding day would something special — surrounded by family, marrying the man of her dreams, and her closest friend by her side.
But just five days before her walk down the aisle a massive fire broke out in her apartment building.
Ruff and her roommate Maryland, who is also her maid of honor, found themselves trapped and were forced to jump more than three floors to safety.
Ruff suffered severe burns to her hands and Maryland fractured her back in the fall and has been in the hospital ever since.
Ruff, knowing her friend needed to heal, didn’t expect her to make it to the wedding.
“This morning she texts me and she says, ‘I’m going to come out,’ “ Ruff said. “For her making it, I know it was hard, but it means a lot to us.”
Ruff and her new husband Sam say they’ve had their “for worse” and are looking forward to “the better.”
The bride didn’t lose her dress in the fire because it was at her mother’s house, but she and her maid of honor lost just about everything else in this fire.
Those who want to help them get back on their feet donate at gofundme.com/amruwk.