Babysitter wearing headphones charged after unattended child suffers burns from tub of hot water

Cassandra Willard

Cassandra Willard

GASTON COUNTY, N.C. — A woman was charged with child abuse after an unattended child in her care was burned in a tub of scalding water.

WSOC reported that Cassandra Willard was watching the 15-month-old girl on June 8 when she left her unattended for about 30 minutes.

In that time, police say the child got inside a tub of hot water with the tap running.

Police said Willard was unable to hear the cries of the child because of the loud music in her headphones.

The child, who was discovered by her father, sustained first, second and third-degree burns on much of her body.

She is recovering from her burns at Wake Forest Baptist Hospital.

Police said Willard is not related to the child and was baby-sitting several other small children at the time. No one else was injured.

Willard received a $150,000 secured bond.

Source: WSOC

Filed in: News

Suggest a correction


Comments are closed.


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 77,069 other followers