Father, stepmother could face charges after missing boy found alive in basement

(Credit: Family Photo/WDIV via CNN)

(Credit: Family Photo/WDIV via CNN)

DETROIT — The father and stepmother of the 12-year-old boy found in his parents’ basement after missing for nearly two weeks may face criminal charges, according to WJBK.

The 11-day search for Charlie Bothuell came to a bizarre conclusion Wednesday when he was discovered alive and well, hidden in the basement of his father’s home. To make matters even stranger, Charlie was barricaded in the basement behind boxes and a large five-gallon drum.

“There’s no way he could have erected this makeshift area of concealment,” Detroit Police Chief James Craig told CNN affiliate WXYZ.

Charlie’s father, Charles Bothuell IV, heard the revelation that the child had been found during a live TV interview with HLN’s Nancy Grace.

According to WJBK, Charlie told investigators it was his stepmother who was helping him hide out and giving him food.

The boy, who was home-schooled and on a strict exercise routine, was allegedly often beaten with a PVC pipe that has now been taken in as evidence.

The father is expected to face child abuse charges in the next couple of days. Charlie’s stepmother could also face charges.

Sources tell WJBK blood was found in the boy’s room and on some of his clothes. That is why police widened the scope of the investigation and, at first, wouldn’t rule homicide out.