Buildup of propane gas causes explosion at NC home, one airlifted

A buildup of propane gas caused an explosion at a Cabarrus County home and one person had to be airlifted, according to authorities. (WSOC-TV)

A buildup of propane gas caused an explosion at a Cabarrus County home and one person had to be airlifted, according to authorities. (WSOC-TV)

CABARRUS COUNTY, N.C. — A buildup of propane gas caused an explosion at a Cabarrus County home and one person had to be airlifted, according to authorities.

WSOC-TV reported that fire crews responded to a call at the 8200 block of Malibu Road around 3:36 a.m. Saturday.

Mt. Pleasant crews arrived first to find the resident of the home outside with extensive burns, and said his injuries were critical.

Cabarrus County Assistant Fire Chief Doug Steele said the guest house, which was not attached to the home, exploded due to a buildup of propane gas. The explosion caused the fire and a partial collapse of the guest house. Steele said the fire explosion went through the roof and side wall.

The victim was taken to an air landing strip and flown to Carolinas Medical Center. An update on his injuries is not available.

Officials are still investigating how and why the propane gas exploded.

The explosion caused between $15,000 and $18,000 in damage.

No charges or citations were issued for the resident.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 34,390 other followers