Closings and delays

Third grader saves choking classmate

EDINA, Minn. — “Hero” is a heavy label to place on a third grader, but that is exactly what people are calling a 9-year-old at an elementary school who saved the life of a classmate.

Zach Furman is a hero.

During the school’s annual Picnic Day in May, 9-year-old Fletcher Dypwick bit off more of a big french fry than he could chew. He started choking.

“I got my hands here and pulled up, Zach said. “Because the air can group and it spits the food out, but you have to do it multiple times, because one time does not do it.”

Zach had learned to give the Heimlich just two weeks before what could have been a horrible tragedy. He learned from his father.

At the same time, Aiden Roberts, 9, realized something was wrong with his friend.

So he ran over and told the teachers.

The boys are all in the same third grade class at Concord Elementary School. Now, thanks to Zach’s heroic actions, their biggest worry is fourth grade.

Source: CNN/KARE11

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 32,572 other followers