RANDOLPH COUNTY, N.C. — Emergency crews were called to a school in Seagrove Tuesday morning after reports of a propane gas smell.
Crews responded to Seagrove Elementary School on Old Plank Road around 8:15 a.m.
Officials say several propane tanks are kept in a lot across the street from the school playground. On Monday, a few tanks were opened to make sure they were not pressurized.
The opening of the tanks caused a strong odor to drift through the area throughout the morning.
One child complained of being nauseous, but is not known whether or not the child’s sickness was related to the propane smell.
The school was not evacuated.