Memorial Day weekend is coming up, and many people will host cookouts to celebrate the beginning of summer.
FOX8’s Shannon Smith visited Pepper Moon Catering in Greensboro to show us some great recipes.
Juicy Lucy burgers
1 Slice deli American cheese (1/2-inch-thick), cut into quarters
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon pepper
1 ½ Pounds 85 percent lean ground beef
2 Slices hearty white sandwich bread , torn into rough pieces
¼ cup milk
¾ teaspoon salt
1. Using potato masher, mash bread, milk, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in large bowl until smooth. Add beef and gently knead until well combined.
2. Divide meat mixture into 4 equal portions; divide each ball in half so that you have 8 balls of equal size. Using small ball of meat, encase each piece of cheese in meat to form a mini burger patty. Mold remaining half-portion of meat around the mini patty and seal the edges to form a ball. Flatten the ball with the palm of your hand, forming a 3/4-inch-thick patty. Transfer patties to plate and refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
3. Grill burgers over medium fire until well browned and cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes per side. Transfer to plate, tent with foil, and let rest 5 minutes. Serve.
NOTE To avoid a burger blowout, it’s essential to completely seal in the cheese. Don’t worry about overworking the meat – adding milk and bread to the ground beef ensures tender, juicy burgers every time.
Stove top Juicy Lucy burgers — Prepare Grilled Jucy Lucy Burgers through step 2. Heat 2 teaspoons vegetable oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until just smoking. Add patties and cook until well browned, about 6 minutes. Flip burgers, cover skillet, and continue cooking until well-done, about 6 minutes. Transfer to plate, tent with foil, and let rest 5 minutes. Serve.
3 parts kosher salt
1 part ground black pepper
1 part granulated garlic
Use to season anything you would like!
Pork Chops with Carolina Rub
An easy rub flavors these grilled chops.
Let them stand about 10 minutes before grilling, allowing the meat to absorb the flavorful spice rub.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 pork chop)
1 teaspoon garlic powder 1 teaspoon onion powder 1 teaspoon sugar 1 teaspoon paprika 1 teaspoon chili powder 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 1/2 teaspoon salt 4 (4-ounce) center-cut pork loin chops Cooking spray 1/4 cup barbecue sauce Instructions
1. Combine first 7 ingredients in a small bowl.
2. Rub pork with spice mixture; let stand 10 minutes.
3. Place pork on grill rack coated with cooking spray.
4. Grill 4 minutes.
5. Turn pork; grill 2 minutes.
6. Brush each chop with 1 tablespoon sauce, and grill 2 minutes or until desired degree of doneness.
Israeli Cous Cous and Tomato Salad
with arugula pesto
• 6 c packed arugula
• 2 c israeli couscous (12 oz)
• 1/2 c olive oil
• 4 tbsp garlic
• 1/4 c grated parmesan
• 1 1/2 pints grape tomatoes cut in half
• 1 pint yellow tomatoes cut in half
1. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil.
2. Add the 6 cups of arugula and blanch for 10 seconds.
3. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the arugula to a colander. Rinse under cold water to stop the cooking, then drain thoroughly.
4. Add couscous to the boiling water and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until it is al dente, about 10 minutes.
5. Drain the couscous and spread it out on a large baking sheet.
6. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and toss to prevent it from clumping.
7. Let the couscous cool to room temperature.
8. Squeeze the excess water from the blanched arugula and coarsely chop it.
9. Transfer the arugula to a food processor.
10. Add the garlic, parmesan and 1/2 c of oil and process until finely chopped.
11. Season the arugula pesto with salt and pepper.
12. Transfer the couscous to a large serving bowl and stir in the arugula pesto.
13. Gently fold in the tomatoes.
14. Garnish with the arugula leaves and serve
Makes 8 servings
3 c diced watermelon, seeded
1/4 c green peppers, small diced
1/4 fresh jalapenos, small diced
3 tbsp chopped cilantro
Juice of two limes
3 tbsp salad oil
Salt and pepper
Mix all ingredients. Serve chilled.
Makes 1 qt