Fox 8 Friday Football Scorecard
Remains officially identified as missing University of Virginia student Hannah Graham
UPDATE: Gunman identified in Wash. state high school shooting, two dead including shooter

Yadkin Co. woman shocked, thrown 20 ft.; says survival ‘a miracle’

RALEIGH, N.C. — A Yadkinville woman who was shocked by electricity while working near power lines this weekend says her survival is a miracle.

Sonya Jones and her husband, Shane, own a tree-cutting business based in Yadkinville. They were working on a job in Raleigh this past Saturday clearing tree branches away from power lines.

“We’d gotten all the tops done, we were home free, down to the easy part,” she explained. But the situation suddenly turned dangerous.

Sonya said her husband was in the bucket of their truck working up in the trees. She was on the ground.

They aren’t sure if part of the truck hit a power line or if electricity arced onto the truck, but suddenly Sonya saw fire around the underside of the vehicle.

“The flames just came from nowhere and both the tires were on fire, and it was getting higher and higher,” she explained.

“In the moment, it all happened so fast. I didn’t think about the electricity. I just thought something had caught fire so I ran to the truck to get the fire extinguisher,” she said.

Just that morning, Sonya had put a new fire extinguisher in their truck.

When she grabbed the door handle, Sonya felt a shock through her entire body. She was thrown 20 or 30 feet from the truck, she said.

Her husband was able to get down safely because the arm of the truck was insulated and he was not hurt in the bucket. Shane hit a release button to turn the power off. They said the flames went out immediately, and paramedics were there within minutes.

Sonya said doctors at UNC Hospital warned her about possible long-term damage from electric shock.

“‘Your organs will probably fail, you could have a heart attack,’ all these things that are probably going to happen to you; so I was really scared,” she said.

But her only injuries are burns on one hand and both feet.

Sonya and her family believe it’s a miracle she was released from the hospital only 24 hours later.

“God was with her. It’s a miracle,” said Sonya’s mom Pamela Jones. “It’s changed my outlook on everything. Everything.”

Sonya’s right hand was burned where she grabbed the door handle. Their truck and equipment is still in Raleigh, but they said there is a left hand print melted into the truck near where Sonya was shocked. They aren’t sure where it came from but don’t think it’s Sonya’s.

Sonya believes her survival was more than just luck. “Some people don’t believe in stuff, but I do. With all my heart.”

10 comments

  • wmjones

    Very blessed young lady. Always been afraid of large amounts of electricity. THANK YOU LORD FOR SPARING HER LIFE.

    • Mandy

      Lee Goins, what an adult thing to say. You know, someone could have lost their life and all you are worried about is their makeup. Don’t be a redneck. Have human compassion please!!!

  • Triple Aught

    Most do not know that in getting an electrical shock, it has the ability to clabber one’s blood.
    And it may not show up immediately either.

    If it does happen, you will have a heart attack or stroke, if not both, including possible internal organ damage.

    Far too many people have that lackadaisical attitude toward electricity.
    That is,
    Until they get shocked and thrown 20 feet…

  • B

    I’m special and God has saved me. That’s just too bad about all the other not so special people that have die from accidental electrical shock.

  • kelly jester

    i know god was with her and yes i do believe in miracles so please pray for god to show u the way to him if u are not truly saved .gods love never fails it just gets stronger every hour of everyday….

Comments are closed.


Related Stories


Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 30,317 other followers