Friday Football scores for week 2

Teen pleads guilty in Carver High School shooting

Christopher Lamont Richardson

Christopher Lamont Richardson

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — A Winston-Salem student pleaded guilty today to shooting another teen at Carver High School last August.

Christopher Lamont Richardson, who was 18 at the time of the shooting, was sentenced in Forsyth County Superior Court to between two years and three years, two months in prison.

He was also placed on supervised probation for three years.

He was convicted of carrying a concealed weapon, possession of a firearm on school property, assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury and discharging a firearm within city limits.

According to eyewitnesses and police, the shooting happened outside of the school building at the end of a scheduled fire drill. Officer Tim Wilson, a school resource officer assigned to Carver, called in the shooting.

Wilson, a 25-year police veteran, saw the shooting and arrested the suspect without incident, Chief Barry Rountree said at a news conference on the day of the incident.

According to police, Antwain Deshaun Porter, 15, was shot with a .38-caliber handgun. A witness said four or five shots were fired. Police said that the shooting stemmed from an on-going dispute between Porter and Richardson.

A contingent of 30 to 60 police officers responded to the scene and officers delayed traffic in front of Carver High School. Carver officials followed the district’s lockdown procedures for its schools immediately after the shooting.

Police set up an area at nearby Russell Community Center where parents could pick up their children. Authorities allowed school buses one at a time to pick up riders, so police could account for every student.

School officials released students to their parents or buses about 4:15 p.m. that day, and students were patted down before getting on buses.

A Carver home football game that was scheduled that night against Reynolds High School was postponed.

Richardson had previously been convicted of bringing a knife to school during the 2011-12 school year while attending Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools. From court records, it appears Richardson enrolled in Carver High School the following year.

On Dec. 14, 2012, Richardson was arrested and charged with carrying a concealed gun and possession of marijuana. He was accused of having a .25-caliber handgun.

Then in January 2013, Richardson was charged with misdemeanor second-degree trespassing and resisting a public officer.

According to court records, he was accused of trespassing on property in the 1000 block of 15th Street that belonged to the Housing Authority of Winston-Salem. He was also accused of failing to stop when a police officer told him to do so.

At the time, he was a sophomore at Carver High School.

That May, as part of a plea arrangement, Richardson pleaded guilty in Forsyth District Court to the charge of carrying a concealed weapon, and Assistant District Attorney Aaron Berlin voluntarily dismissed the other charges.

Forsyth District Judge Victoria Roemer gave Richardson a suspended sentence of 45 days in jail and placed him on 18 months of unsupervised probation. Roemer ordered the handgun be destroyed.

Porter was involved in the 2011 beating of Rickie Wilson, a 58-year-old man with learning disabilities. At the time, prosecutors requested that Porter be tried as an adult, but a judge denied that request.

It was recommended that Porter spend a minimum of six months at a locked juvenile training center.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 26,683 other followers