Do you find yourself rushing every morning? Do you feel like you just can’t get everything done?
Dr. Tjai Nielsen stopped by FOX8 to share some helpful tips about time management and how to put time back in your day.
Nielsen is the associate professor of Management at High Point University.
Here are his tips:
(1) Establish a ritual (take 1-2 hrs. each week to plan your week) Try to do this at the same time each week. It seems counter-intuitive, but it greatly increases the effectiveness of your week if you don’t simply “jump into the storm” without a plan.
(2) Visualize the big picture (take a few minutes to consider your most significant life goals & dreams).
(a) How would you like to be remembered?
(b) What do you want your life to be about in 3, 5, 7, and 10 years from now?
(c) If you had to write your own obituary now, what would you like it to say?
These questions are great ways to stay focused on what really matters.
(3) Celebrate last week (write down everything you’re proud of from the last week).
Most of us do not take time to celebrate our accomplishments before diving into what’s next. This exercise invariably makes us feel more positive and confident.
(4) Consider what didn’t happen last week (what did you not accomplish that you had planned?)
Concentrating on what was really important and being completely honest with yourself, list what didn’t happen and why. How can you avoid this in the future? How will you address this going forward?
(5) Schedule everything (we all have access to numerous tools for this purpose).
Many people create “to do lists” without considering how long each task will actually take and they invariably take longer than we think. Schedule what matters most earlier in the day and earlier in the week. If you have something important to do, it must take a place on your calendar.