GREENSBORO, N.C. — Life returned to normal pretty quickly after a gunman scare on the campus of North Carolina A&T Monday.
Two phone calls about a man with a rifle prompted a campus lockdown around 10 a.m.
Five buildings were evacuated during the search for a gunman. Students and staff were asked leave the General Classroom building, Barnes Hall, Crosby Hall, Marteena Hall and Merrick Hall.
All other classrooms were told to remain in class through an emergency alert notification system.
Caranita Harrelson got that alert after her classroom had been evacuated.
“I immediately got nervous and scared,” said Harrelson. “I immediately went to my car and left campus.”
Police reopened campus around 12:30 p.m. after finding no sign of a gunman.
Harrelson was back for her 2 p.m. class. She said sticking around while police went from building to building made her uneasy.
“If there was a gunman on campus that would kind of be like sitting ducks, it was like creating a target,” said Harrelson.
Her classmate Austin Ogletree disagrees. He felt safe in his classroom during the police search.
“I think the school pretty much has it under control,” said Ogletree.
The sophomore signed up for emergency notifications, Aggie Alerts, after last April’s gunman scare. Police were told a man was armed but it turned out that he simply had an umbrella.
Ogletree said being in class during the 2013 scare helped him feel better about the campus response Monday.
“Since we had been through this last year everyone was like, ‘Is this going to be the same outcome or is this something serious?’” said Ogletree.
Both Ogletree and Harrelson said they are happy that school leaders took the threat seriously.
“What we all have to realize is that there is always the possibility that it could happen and it could be true,” said Ogletree. “It’s better to be safe than sorry.”