Faulty equipment blamed for fire at Ingleside Compost Facility in High Point

Bl8NC1EIMAAe0QZ

HIGH POINT, N.C. — A leak in a hydraulic line caused a fire to ignite Wednesday evening at the Ingleside Compost Facility on Ingleside Drive.

Assistant High Point Fire Marshal Don Hinshaw confirms the fire started with a piece of equipment being used to mulch storm debris.

The hydraulic line on the equipment had a leak and when it came in contact with the warm machine, a fire ignited.

The piece of equipment, which cost $500,000 14 years ago, was totaled and cannot be salvaged.

The City of High Point has a second machine that will be used to mulch storm debris.

2 comments

  • Chris

    This equipment has well outlasted its expected life of eight years simply because of dedicated operators who have kept this tubgrinder well maintained. Hoses rupture even on new equipment. This one was simply a backup unit but obviously has been utilized heavily since the ice storm due to the abundance of debris. This equipment is funded from the landfill enterprise fund, not tax dollars.

Comments are closed.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 32,542 other followers