NEW YORK — Following a series of recent security breaches at One World Trade Center, that last of which occurred on Friday, the company that is in charge of security at the site is under scrutiny, according to the Star-Ledger.
The most recent breach occurred around 4 p.m. Friday. A 54-year-old man from Queens walked onto the site of the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks through a gate opened for a delivery. The Star-Ledger reports that a guard working for Summit Security Services was talking to the truck driver when the man slipped through the gate unnoticed.
The man was spotted inside the fence by another guard and was cited for trespassing by police.
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey said recently it was reviewing measures now in place and the performance of Summit Security Services.
“A security breach is unacceptable and will not be tolerated,” said Port Authority Chief Security Officer Joe Dunne. “If our current security providers cannot meet the strict performance measures included in their contract, they will be replaced.”
Three other breaches have occurred since last September. On Wednesday, April 9, a construction worker went to the site for a job interview but did not know exactly where to go. He too walked through an open gate that was opened for a delivery, the Star-Ledger said.
Last month, a teenage boy crawled through a hole in a fence and made his way all the way to the top of One World Trade Center. In September 2013, four men allegedly climbed the nation’s tallest building on and parachuted more than 1,300 feet off the skyscraper. The four men were arrested for the stunt last month.
Summit Security Services officials refused the Star-Ledger‘s request for comment.
Read more: Star-Ledger