WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. -- One person was injured after a small explosion inside a building at the Wake Forest Innovation Quarter.
Emergency crews have blocked off a two-block section of First Street close to City Hall.
The explosion happened in a fume hood lab inside a building leased by Asinex. Officials said a worker was "doing some experiments" when a chemical exploded in a fume hood.
Officials said one injured worker and an uninjured co-worker were transported to Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center by EMS. Six others drove themselves to the hospital.
Officials said they do not believe the injuries are serious.
Asinex, a medicinal chemistry company, opened its Winston-Salem operations last March.
Winston-Salem police, firemen and EMS personnel responded to a dispatch call around 10 a.m.
The two-block area near Church and First streets was blocked off. A decontamination unit with the Hazmat team has been requested.
No other information is available at this time.