MADISON, N.C. -- A late night house fire in Madison killed one man and injured his wife and son. Fire officials say 76-year-old Ken Crowder died in the fire Sunday night.
Family members tell FOX8 Crowder had a stroke a few years ago and relied on a wheelchair to get around. Crowder's wife, Barbara, and his son, Kenny, tried to get him out of the burning home but weren't able to do so.
"With the fire going so fast they just couldn't get him and with him not being able to help a lot I guess it was just all they could do is get out themselves," explains Sandra Shreve, Ken's sister.
Shreve says the family is still in shock.
"This is just so hard to comprehend. It just hasn't hit home yet. It hasn't soaked in. It's just hard to believe," explains Shreve.
Family members say Ken Crowder is going to be missed and he was a man who loved his farm, his garden and his family.
"It's one of those things you never know when something is going happen so you really need to tell your family how you feel about them because it's always that one day that's going to be too late," says Shreve.
Barbara Crowder and her son Kenny were both taken to the burn center at Wake Forest Baptist.
At last check, Barbara Crowder was listed in good condition. Kenny Crowder was released from the hospital.