In a story recently published, Huffington Post writer Carly Ledbetter listed 15 reasons why she considers Charlotte to be the weirdest.
Ledbetter is an Elon University graduate.
Here is her list:
1. Downtown is called uptown.
2. No one is actually from Charlotte.
3. She identifies Michael Jordan, Cam Newton and Ryan Lochte as Charlotte’s local celebrities, and according to the story, “Easy to stalk, or spot, them around town.”
4. “Everything is oddly evangelical.” In this reason she references the Billy Graham Library and Elevation Church.
5. “Everyone works for the big three,” listed as Bank of America, Wells Fargo or Red Ventures.
6. She says the “Buzz City Bobcats” are the only NBA team in Charlotte, but receive competition from Duke and UNC.
7. “Bank of America is trying to tell you something.” Ledbetter references Frescoe paintings in the Bank of America building.
8. “The streets are always empty.” The writer references CIAA and Friday night as the only times the city is not asleep.
9. “If you ain’t first, you’re last,” referencing NASCAR as Charlotte’s main sport and one of the city’s biggest attractions.
10. “Public transportation is hilarious.” This shows a picture of an empty Light Rail stop.
11. The US National Whitewater Center is located in Charlotte. Ledbetter writes that it would make more sense to have the center in Colorado.
12. Graveyards are everywhere.
13. When First Lady Michelle Obama complimented the city on their “great barbecue,” Charlotte objected, saying theirs was “just OK.”
14. A French bakery called “Amelie’s” is a common obsession and “slowly taking over this southern city.”
15. A mix of “college and purgatory,” Ledbetter writes that everyone moves there and then within a few years, they’re accepting a job in San Francisco.
Source: The Huffington Post