FORT BRAGG, N.C. — Sexual assault charges against Army Brig. Gen. Jeffrey Sinclair have been dropped, and a plea deal accepted, according to his defense.
“After wasting millions of taxpayer dollars, the Army has admitted to what it’s known for many months: General Sinclair is innocent of sexual assault,” said lead defense attorney Richard Scheff, in a statement.
WTVD reported that on Sunday afternoon, Sinclair’s defense team said an Offer to Plead, or OTP, had been accepted by Fort Bragg Major General Clarence Chinn earlier in the weekend.
The agreement confirms the government will drop sexual assault charges, and two other charges that would have led to Sinclair registering as a sex offer. Other charges that will be dropped include credit card fraud, and one alleging Sinclair forced his accuser to stay in their relationship.
In turn, Sinclair is pleading guilty to adultery and the mistreatment of his accuser, a charge the defense notes as unique to the Uniform Code of Military Justice, or UCMJ.
The government and the defense have also agreed on a cap for the penalties. That agreement has not been detailed yet.
The agreement comes less than a week after Col. James Pohl, the presiding judge in the case, ruled Unlawful Command Influence had damaged the high-profile case, in which the general was accused of sexual assault by a female Captain with whom he had a three-year affair.
The woman, whose testimony had already been heard by a panel before the ruling, accused the general of sexual assault and threatening to kill her and her family.
Read full story: WTVD