World Cup schedule
FOX World Cup scores

2-year-old suspended after bringing cheese sandwich to school

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OTTAWA, ONTARIO – A 2-year-old girl has been suspended from her daycare because of a fight over food.

Officials with the school say the child brought a cheese sandwich to school.

Evidently, the daycare has a strict ‘no outside food policy.’

Randy Murray., the girl’s father, says he didn’t even know his daughter had food with her until it was too late.

“Faith must have snuck a cheese sandwich into her pocket, into her hand and nobody saw it and went into the classroom,” Murray said. “And by the time she was two steps in, one of the teachers had saw it, handed it back to me and the next thing I know we’re told we’re suspended for three days.”

The daycare defends its actions, saying the food policy is there to protect workers and children with food allergies.


  • Dawn

    I understand that rules are rules. I can understand to a point the daycares position on this. However, the child wasnt allergic or she wouldnt have had it and why is it such a big deal when if the workers do the job they are supposed to none of the other kids will even have the oportunity to eat it . daycare worker.

    • smilegrl

      I think the reason this was a big deal in the eyes of the daycare is that some food allergies do not require the person to actually consume the food in question. Depending on the situation, this could have potentially been deadly. That being said, it might have been a little more diplomatic to give the girl/her family a warning before suspending her.

  • Dopple

    If this was the policy then the parents probably did sign an agreement. It does sound like a policy that wouldn’t be good for business.

  • Ellen

    Speaking as a mother of children with serious peanut and tree allergies, allergic reactions can occur from smell and touch not just the consumption of the food. If a child ate peanutbutter, had some on his/her hand and then touched my child (ie high five), my child could have a reaction up until and including anaphylactic shock which can be deadly. It’s just not worth it. Rules may not be understood but they are in place to protect the children being cared for as well as protect the center for liability. Having said that, I do think suspension was over the top given that the food was taken as the child came in the center. I think the daycare is making an example to get the seriousness point across. A warning would have been a better way to handle it. You would be surprised at how many people do not realize how bad peanut allergies are which includes processing on the same equipment. It does not have to be a direct peanut product

Comments are closed.