HIGH POINT, N.C. - Living without power is forcing residents to find creative ways to get by.
James Bondurant of High Point said he used his grill to make dinner and his car to charge his Smartphone so his two-year-old daughter could listen to music for the evening.
“We are going to read some books and listen to some music," he said.
The ice storm started bringing down trees in the early hours of Friday morning.
"At 4 a.m. the power flickered on and off," said Clay Bolick, who was awakened at 7 a.m. to his neighbor’s willow oak crashing onto his roof. “When it hit it shook the whole house pretty badly."
It could take power crews several days to restore power for some residents. In the meantime, EMS is reminding folks to be careful with space heaters.
With fears of carbon monoxide poising officials are also reminding folks not to bring grills indoors and when using a generator keep it outside and away from doors and windows.