Man charged in double fatal hit-and-run gets lower bond
RALEIGH, N.C. – A college student accused of killing two Good Samaritans on Interstate 40 during a winter storm last month was in court Thursday as a Wake County judge decided to lower his bond.
WTVD reported that Marshall Hudson Doran, of Kure Beach, was originally charged with two counts of second-degree murder following the Feb. 13 incident and a magistrate set his bond at $5 million.
The charge was later lowered to felony death by a motor vehicle, and his bond was reduced to $500,000.
The 21-year-old’s bond was lowered again to $400,000 during a bond hearing on Thursday.
Authorities took Doran into custody after they found his Volvo in Raleigh.
Police said it was the same car that fled the scene after hitting 39-year-old Larry Kepley of Winston-Salem and 34-year-old Nathaniel Williams.
Officials said the victims tried to help drivers who lost control on the snow-covered interstate around 9 p.m. near the Wake-Johnston County line.
Read more: WTVD