96-year-old man finds dead rat in birthday cake
NEW YORK — A New York man celebrating his 96th birthday got an unpleasant surprise when he took a bite out of his birthday cake.
Inside his favorite German apple ring cake was a dead rat.
According to WABC, family members of Joseph Vallenti, 96, say they bought him his favorite cake from a grocery store in Commack, N.Y.
Vallenti knew right away that it didn’t taste right.
When the family cut into the cake to investigate, they saw what they thought was black mold.
But it wasn’t mold, it was a rat’s tail.
The family lawyer told WABC the rat will be turned over to state officials for further investigation and added that he believed someone tampered with the cake.
Meanwhile, the grocery chain said it is investigating the matter as well.
In a written statement, King Kullen said it had recalled everything from the shelves of its bakeries.
“Product has been removed from the bakery and the premises have undergone a thorough inspection,” King Kullen said in a statement. “There are no known safety or rodent issues in this bakery department and it is in good standing with all Department of Agriculture inspections.”
The grocery chain said it never had a rodent complaint before.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Man catches massive 805-pound shark, won't share his secret
- Randolph Co. middle school employee accused of sending obscene images to teenage girl
- NC girl kicked out of prom for wearing pants
- 'Ice Road Truckers' star accused of kidnapping prostitute, threatens to kill her over $1k