Man stabbed in neck during fight at basketball court in High Point; suspect in custody
Sheim Jhaquieze Bennett
HIGH POINT, N.C. — Police have a man in custody in connection with a stabbing that happened at a neighborhood basketball court Wednesday afternoon.
Police say Javotae Malik Murray was stabbed in the upper torso and neck at a basketball court on the corner of Furlough Avenue and Meredith Street during a fight.
He is charged with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury and attempted murder.
The incident was reported shortly after 3:30 p.m.
Murray was transported by EMS to High Point Regional with a “very serious injury to the neck and shoulder area,” according to Capt. Mike Kirk. He has undergone surgery and is listed in serious condition.
Bennett was placed in the Guilford County Jail under a $150,000 bond.
The reason for the assault is still under investigation.
- Watch WWE's touching tribute to The Ultimate Warrior
- 'Blood moon' timeline: Event will be a sight to behold, weather permitting
- 79-year-old 'Britain's Got Talent' dancer stuns Simon Cowell with her moves
- 24 people apply for 'World's Toughest Job,' get an emotional surprise at end of interview
- The Ultimate Warrior's cause of death revealed in autopsy