Winston-Salem man killed in hit-and-run on I-40 while helping stranded motorist

Posted on: 6:55 am, February 14, 2014, by , updated on: 07:36pm, February 14, 2014

Marshall Doran

Marshall Doran

RALEIGH, N.C. — Two Good Samaritans, including a Winston-Salem man, died Thursday evening when they were struck by a hit and run driver while coming to the aid of a truck driver whose cab had spun out on I-40 near Garner.

Around 8 p.m. Thursday, Cardell Gayfield, of Clayton, was driving a bobtail tractor with no trailer west on I-40 near the Wake-Johnston County line when his cab spun out of control and came to a stop next to the road.

Gayfield placed reflectors in the road and tried to move his truck out of the lane of traffic, according to the State Highway Patrol.

Larry Kepley, 39, of Winston-Salem, was driving a tractor-trailer on I-40 when he spotted Gayfield’s disabled tractor and stopped to assist.

A short time later, Nathaniel Williams, of Hope Mills, and another driver swerved to the right of Gayfield’s truck to avoid a collision, and both cars went down an embankment. Williams then exited his car and walked up the embankment to give assistance, according to the Highway Patrol.

As Kepler and Williams were standing behind Gayfield’s disabled bobtail tractor, they were struck by a 2001 Volvo.

Kepley and Williams both died in the accident.

The driver of the Volvo, Marshall H. Doran, 21, of Kure Beach, fled the scene.

The Wake County Sheriff’s Office and Raleigh Police Department established a perimeter and a State Highway Patrol helicopter assisted in the search. Doran had been hiding in a wooded area, but gave himself up to a Wake County sheriff’s deputy, according to the State Highway Patrol.

Doran was turned over to the State Highway Patrol and taken to the Wake County Jail.

Doran was charged with two counts of  second degree murder, two counts of driving while intoxicated, felony hit and run, careless and reckless driving and drug possession.

Doran is scheduled to appear in court at 2 p.m. Friday.

• What a evil man. Death penatly.

• dewey says:

I’d venture to say more irresponsible than evil…..it seems to lack certain aspects that would make this young man evil

• Will Grant says:

Obviously the victims weren’t someone important to you.

• dewey says:

@ Will…..even if they were, can you still explain what makes him “evil”…he’s empty if anything

• Ann says:

This man killed two men, he needs to died himself, he doesn’t need jail, that will teach him nothing. He took two wonderful people, their families will never see them again. Him being stupid and driving now families are apart forever. This boy is a killer and needs to put to death, the same way he killed these men!!!

• L Barber says:

This is not a classroom Professor John so please give everyone a break. This tragic accident is so heart wrenching. Praying for inner peace for all the families.

• thomas says:

Looks like another spoiled, rich white kid (which is likely since his address is Kure Beach); wonder if he will use the “affluenza” defense like the young, white, rich kid/drunk driver who killed four in Texas recently?

• MT says:

Has nothing to do with race or money, gezzzzz, get over the racism. I live in Winston – Salem, does this make me black or white, rich or poor. I know both that live here!!!!

• Ann says:

He looked like he was laughing He was all smiles, He needs to be put to death. He killed to wonderful man

• Kenny Hicks says:

I suggest you learn about your state a little more. If you did, you would know that there is nothing “affluent” about Kure Beach. It is a poor mans beach, end of story so stop talking out of your posterior.

• janeen says:

I know marshall personally .he grew up with my 21year old son.they worked together just last summer .god i am so sad for all the families involved .marshall is a sweet kid .this incident is totally out of character for him .not a spoiled rich kid but from a good home with awesome parents .i am praying for everyone involved .this will be a tough thing for this kid to live with …my heart goes out to everyone involved.

• Tyler says:

Marshal is a good guy. I had the opportunity to work with him and meet his family over the past year. This is most definitely out of character for him. And to all you people who say death penalty and all that people were parked wrong on the road so the hitting was an accident I presume. As for the running if you have ever hit someone it’s scary and your body does go into fight or flight. Marshal did eventually give himself up so he did recognize what he had done. No matter what the reasoning or outcome he will live with what he has done for the rest of his life . My heart goes out to all that we’re and are involved.

• news2me says:

Tyler, He did not give himself up..He started running away when the police caught him.

• dewey says:

he looks empty, like most of his generation

• Teresa Clodfelter says:

I was just thinking the same thing.

• Nicole says:

hes not a rich white kid. i know him personally. he’s a shity person but he made a mistake. im not saying its okay and he fully deserves what he should get but dont sterotype someone off of an address.

• Carol Montgomery says:

Marshall’s family is not rich. His father is a self-employed photographer. Your prejudice is blinding you.

Once again the one person who thinks they can handle driving while impaired. That makes him evil.

• MT says:

As a victim of a hit and run involving a death, this person I needs to be charged with murder! !!!!

• ASAP says:

redrum!!!!!

• Virginia says:

Such A Shame. If You Hit Them You Hit Them. Don’t Run And Hide. Be A Man And Own Up To It.

• MarineDad says:

Wow at these comments!! lets just say two people are dead and one young mans life is ruined. My Thoughts and Prayers to all of their Families!!!!

• Will Grant says:

two people dead…very sad “young man’s life ruined”…his own choices, jarhead…not sad

• Irene Carmen says:

Yes it was his choice. But his life is ruined just the same. And yes it is sad that a young man chose to be intoxicated and ruined 3 lives instead of being responsible. He ruined his life by not living up to the morals. He ruined his life for the rest of life by having to live with what he did. He ruined his life by now not being a decent person and not being able to contribute to society. Yes. His life is ruined. My thoughts and prayers with all 3 families.

• Faye Farlow says:

We do not know any background on the guy.I just pray to God to comfort the family’s of the victims and keep my judgments to myself.
    I just can not imagine their sorrow.

• fred says:

This kid is not evil.
    He’s just dumb as a rock.
    Most kids his age think they are bullet proof.
    Think back on your life
    .Remember some of the stupid things you did
    Be honest with yourself

Yes we all did questionable things as a young person. Driving while impaired is not just a questionable action of a young person. It is a CHOICE you make at any age to possibly kill someone. Once you choose to get behind the wheel and drive impaired, you have decided the life of others does not matter.
      I have been driving many years and I can truly say I have never driven impaired, not even once.
      The problem with our society is all to many people have driven impaired and gotten home with nothing happening. So people think to do it every now and then is acceptable because they themselves have done it.

• fred says:

The one
    You obviously have never been to Kure Beach.
    Not a Affluent part of N.C.
    Mostly nothing there but a fishing pier.
    I go there every November

• The One says:

Fred
      If you will scroll up above my post you will see I was commenting on Thomas post trying to leave all the racist remarks out. Also I know quite a bit about Kure beach.

• Crystal says:

This may have been an accident but the evil comes in when he fled the scene after killing two people.

• dewey says:

fear, not evil more than likely made him run off….still don’t see how you all keep arriving at this “evil” conclusion

• JustMe says:

I agree with you Dewey..This guy, Marshall Doran, oh my but he must be a Jeffery Dahmer and a Kenneth Bianchi and a Ted Bundy all rolled into one..Oh my, evil I say just evil!!!!!!!

• felix says:

My correction, two lives!

• Obviously stupidity does not take a snow day.

• Will Grant says:

Had this young man been sober and just lost control of his vehicle, I would absolutely feel for him. But there is NO…repeat, NO…excuse for what he did. “Sweet kid” oh, brother…

• Brad McSuckle says:

He panicked.

• Wanda says:

I have known Larry Kepley since he was a baby. My family and Larry’s family are life long friends. I agree that 3 lives will never be the same. This young man should not have been on the roads drunk. Yeah I am sure he’s a nice kid being charged with driving while intoxicated and drug possession and don’t forget two counts of second degree murder and felony hit and run. It is a person’s choice to drink but you should not drive. It was Larry’s and Nathaniel’s choice to help Cardell get his truck out of the way so others would not wreck. I can’t believe the people who are upholding Marshall. We visited Larry’s parents this morning and they are in shock and disbelief. My heart goes out to everyone who was involved because their lives will never be same.

• news2me says:

Deepest sympathy for the victims family and friends.

Larry did two things that day

He went to work….and he helped his fellowman…

God Bless Larry’s family and friends.

My heart is heavy with grief for these needless deaths.

• Darren says:

okay if you’ll don’t know alcohol impairs your ability to react to anything your reaction time is cut to about .5 a second so reaction isn’t a excuse people. DRUNK DRIVING ISN’T ACCEPTABLE.

• Wanda says:

They want to stop selling cigarettes but what about alcohol…it’s usually the innocence that gets killed by a drunk driver, when will they make more stiffen penalties for this? How many more lives we will loose before something is done! There is NO EXCUSE for drinking and driving!!!!

• news2me says:

I do not feel the least bit of sympathy for this young man driving under the influence of a controlled substance. ..

I agree with you 100%. I feel deeply for the families of the two victims, my heart goes out to them. I feel nothing but distain for the person who MADE THE CHOICE to drive while impaired. Once he got behind the wheel of that car and drove away, at that moment he maid the choice not to care about anybody’s life.
      Punishment needs to be harsher for driving while impaired. Much harsher.

• observer10 says:

I suspect a lot of the cause was driver complacency and inexperience in snow and ice.

• Ya momma says:

I’m surprised no one is on here bashing cops for not doing their job.

As with every other crime, they should’ve known this was going to happen and stopped him before it did…

• I am Larry Kepley’s Brothers fiance and I think that if Marshall was going to be drinking he should of stayed home…They had reflectors out and everyone could see Larry and Mr. Williams ….He was just drinking and driving and then running REALLY that’s a coward..No body can see the pain that this family is going though unless you have lost a brother or family member due to a DRUNK DRIVER. and as far as I am concerned 5 million dollars hell no it should be no bond and he should get life in prison…..I know I will get a lot of rejects but I don’t care u do the crime u can do the crime.

• Kim says:

Prayers to everyone involved!

• Chelsea says:

If you do further research, he blew under the legal alcohol limit an the “controlled substance” was Aderall that he is prescribed. Also, he gave himself up to the police (some of the reports are saying that he struggled with an officer. I’m not saying that he was right to flee the scene, though I can guarantee he was in shock, but obviously the media is adding things to make him into a “monster”. Marshall is not “spoiled, a redneck, or garbage”. He made a mistake. And I know that all he can think about is what he did and how it is affecting those 2 men’s families.

• Will Grant says:

You can “guarantee” that he was in shock, but everyone else is just “speculating”? You are incredibly ignorant, “Chelsea”

• Kayla says:

Will, Chelsea and I both personally know Marshall and have for years. He is a great person that made an awful mistake, but with that said, his only mistake was fleeing afterwards and anyone can only imagine how in shock or terrified he was. He was not breaking the law according to legal limits of alcohol consumption. It is a horrible accident and Marshall will live the rest of his life knowing he accidentally killed two people. I pray for him and the families of the two men whose lives were lost.

• steelerfan2072 says:

Your comment was what I was waiting to hear before sending out a Posse which is so commonplace around here. What was his BAC? I can’t stand the way people dive on someone while barely knowing any contributing factors. Yes, it is a tragedy but there is a big difference in driving while at a .02 level and a .12 level. Now I’m sure “ANY” level is cause for first degree murder and the chair huh? There is a reason the levels are set for the laws…All in all it’s very, very awful no matter what…

• concerned mother says:

He was charged with speeding last year, in 2009 he was charged with reckless driving, in 2008 he was charged with larceny and misdemeanor paraphernalia and marijuana charges and of course all of these were dismissed but if he was held accountable then maybe he would have learned from his choices and this might have been avoided.

• concerned mother says:

You need to do further research. He has been charged with possession of marijuana, larceny and reckless driving in the past but of course they were dismissed and he was charged with having amphetamines and if they were prescribed to him then he wouldn’t been charged with felony possession. I do feel sorry for everyone who is involved but it doesn’t matter what his alcohol level was he should not been out on the road and also in one report Cardell Gayfield stated that Marshall was going at least 60 mph and the impact knocked one of Larry’s shoes off. Marshall should’ve not been going this fast due to the road conditions. Yeah Marshall gave himself up but not until after they did a man hunt for him including using a helicopter. I have read several reports on this tragedy so I did do my research. Yes we have all made bad choices in the past but they are our choices and we have to live with them for the rest of our lives. I don’t think he is a monster he made a bad choice but it did cost 2 lives and Marshall has to live with this. I think if the charges in the past weren’t dismissed maybe he would’ve learned what the consequences were for the choices that he made and maybe this could have been avoided. It is going to take a long time for all of the families to heal from this including Marshall and his family.

• margie says:

This is such a tragic event for all involved. I am so sorry for those who were killed – but, my sadness for them will not bring them back. As for the driver who hit them – he will live with this for the rest of his life. Not saying this is possible right now, but perhaps we should search deep into our hearts and seek forgiveness for him rather than condemnation. My expression doesn’t take away the grief that I feel for the families. His ruined life won’t change the awful mistake.

• regina says:

He knew he was wrong that’s why he ran I don’t care what kind of family he came from .

• Tara Kepley says:

Larry Kepley was my brother in law. He was a good man trying to find a safe place to stay for the night before he continued on home the next day to his wife. On his way, he saw someone in need of help, so he did what anyone who knows him knew he would do. He stopped to help. The events that took place after that are nothing short of tragic. The families of.Mr. Williams, Larry, and Marshall Doran will NEVER be the same. The impact of this event and the choices made will reach further than we can even imagine at this point. My husband lost his baby brother and one of his closest friends; he will never get hear his voice or be able to laugh at his crazy jokes again. Nathaniel Williams served our country and fought for our freedom, and his family who just had their son returned to them has lost him again, forever. Marshall Doran made very bad decisions last night…his life will also be forever changed by this, his family’s life as well. The difference is, he still has his life to live, I just pray that something positive will result from all of this heartache.
    Please take a moment to say a prayer for my family, for the family of Nathaniel Williams, and for the family of Marshall Doran. Peace and understanding are a long way off for all of us.

• jade says:

imagine siting in jail for killing two people by accident then knowing you ran clank them throwing away the key that boy in texas killed 4 by vehicle and then ran only received rehab

• Mike Kepley says:

Larry Kepley was my youngest brother! He didn’t have a lot of friends growing up but he had a passion about caring for others and would go out of his way to help someone in need just as he was doing Thursday night. Larry loved his church family in Thomasville, and I know without a doubt he also loved his adopted church family in Pfafftown. There have been a lot of tears shed since we learned of his passing. He is going to be missed by many people especially me with his almost daily phone calls asking me a question that he didn’t know the answer to or was uncertain about. Peace and understanding are a long way off for all his friends and family.

• John Smith says:

I don’t think it is panic when you leave the scene. It is “Maybe I can get away with this free of charge.”

• annwechter says:

I I am Marshalls aunt.He comes from a good hard working loving family that have always been involved with the children. Marshall is a loving sensitive young man that paniced and made a terriable choice. They all will grieve for the two mens families . He will always have to live with this accident as will his Mom and Dad. I don’t think that he will ever be able to forgive himself for leaveing the accident. Marshall didn’t set out that night to ruin all the lives involved. In time I can only hope that people will forgive him and continue to show love to one another. He may never be able to get past this. I pray for the two mens families and my family.

• Will Grant says:

oh, brother…all you people trying to defend this p.o.s. who “panicked” (real men assume responsibility…punks “panic”)…you really think the fact that you “know him personally” means anything to anyone…pathetic

• frank sinner says:

All the people that care for Marshall so much make sure you help out with his bond !!

• AT says:

According to Zillow, the Doran Family’s “modest” “humble” house located on a poor man’s beach is worth nearly 1 million dollars.

If his BAC was.07 after he was caught, I wonder what it was when he was murdering 2 people? Does anyone have the timeline?

• Mark says:

Larry was I good person and will be missed very much!!!!