RALEIGH, N.C. – North Carolina health officials said Thursday there have been five more deaths related to influenza this flu season, bringing the total statewide to 13.
Four of the 13 deaths were in Guilford County, according to the Guilford County Department of Public Health
WTVD reported that the Department of Health and Human Services is encouraging people to get a flu shot if they haven’t already gotten one.
Doctors say the flu seems to be hitting harder this year, and not among the very young or elderly, but younger adults, people in their 30s, 40s, and 50 as well.
High demand for flu shots has put some strain on supply. Some smaller pharmacies ran out this week. However, most of the larger chain pharmacies and many doctors still have them in stock.
Some people are more susceptible than others to the dangers of the flu. Typically, children under two, pregnant women, and people with asthma, diabetes and heart disease are the most at risk of the flu escalating.
On Monday, Duke said that it was restricting visitation at all Duke University Health System hospitals because of the rise in flu infections across the Triangle.
The visitor restrictions imposed at all Duke Hospitals now include:
- Ambulatory surgery patients being limited to immediate family or designated care givers, 18 and older.
- Those who are not sick with the flu.
- Patients can’t have more than two adult visitors at once.
The restrictions are temporary and similar to what were in place last year during flu season. Flu season typically peaks during January and February.