Electrical short causes house fire in Winston-Salem

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

(Stock photo)

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — An electrical short in the ceiling caused a fire early this morning at a family’s home in southeastern Winston-Salem, fire officials said.

Firefighters were called about 12:47 a.m. to the fire at 152 Fishel Road. No smoke or flames were visible when they arrived, but they did discover a fire between the first floor and attic of the home.

The fire was extinguished, and Duke Energy workers disconnected the utilities.

The fire caused an estimated $5,500 in damages to the home, which is owned by Christopher Godfrey, according to a fire department news release.

Two adults and four children were displaced by the fire. Fire officials said the family will be staying with relatives.