Volunteer firefighter shot in head dies, murder charges brought against two
ROWAN COUNTY, N.C. — The family of a volunteer firefighter shot in the head earlier this month in Cleveland has chosen to take him off life support.
Murder charges have been brought against two individuals already in custody for the shooting.
Marcus “Marco” Kauffman, 25, was shot in the head during a home invasion on Dec. 2.
A newlywed, he and his wife had just returned home from a trip. Deputies with the Rowan County Sheriff’s Office said that Kauffman noticed something wasn’t right upon arriving at his home and took his wife to a neighbor’s house before returning to investigate. It was then that he was shot.
Police have upgraded charges for two men already in custody in connection with the shooting.
Khari Dweayne McClelland, 23, of Harmony, arrested Dec. 9, and Jaylend Daquan Turner, 19, of Statesville, arrested Dec. 6, have both been charged with first degree murder.
McClelland and Turner are being held without bond and are scheduled to appear in court Dec. 23.
Charges have also been upgraded for two other men accused of being connected to the shooting.
Tramel Devon Hart, 18, of Harmony, arrested Dec. 12, and Michael Dwayne Teasley, 25, of Statesville, arrested Dec. 6, are now being charged with accessory after the fact to first degree murder.
No bond information is available as of yet for Hart or Teasley.
Kauffman had been fighting for his life in Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte prior to the family’s decision today to remove him from life support.
A post on the Praying for Marco Facebook page this morning said, “This morning the test results came back. We are choosing to bless God and let go of our dear Marco, for it seems God is calling him to Himself.”
- Closings and Delays
- LIVE BLOG: Latest on power outages and road conditions
- Woman’s automatic payments hid her death for 6 years, body found mummified
- Ice, wind down trees across NC; over 300,000 across state without power
- Guilford Co. declares State of Emergency, over 175,000 county residents without power