P.J. Hairston off the team at UNC
P.J. Hairston when he played for UNC.
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (WTVD) — UNC said Thursday it will not apply to the NCAA to reinstate men’s basketball player P.J. Hairston, and he will not return to the team.
“Unfortunately P.J. made a number of mistakes that placed his eligibility at risk and the University’s joint review with the NCAA made it clear that seeking reinstatement for P.J. would not be possible,” said director of athletics Bubba Cunningham. “The University thanks him for his contributions to Carolina Basketball.
UNC head coach Roy Williams suspended Hairston indefinitely after a summer drug arrest and after he received multiple speeding tickets.
“P.J. made mistakes and I was very disappointed by his actions and now he is suffering the very difficult consequences. He is not a bad kid; he just made some mistakes,” said head coach Roy Williams.
UNC said Hairston scored 707 points and made 127 three-pointers in 71 games as a Tar Heel. Last year, he led UNC in scoring at 14.6 points per game and connected on 89 threes, the second-most in Carolina single-season history.
- Woman killed in wreck on southbound Business 85 in High Point
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Baby born Tuesday is largest hospital has seen in over a decade
- Woman admits to stealing toy from child's grave, explains why she did it
- Tenn. girl wakes up for school, finds parents dead inside home