More problems reported for people getting food stamps

Posted on: 5:26 pm, December 9, 2013, by

REIDSVILLE, N.C. — A Rockingham County family says they are struggling to feed their kids because of an unreliable state computer program.

The new NC FAST computer system in North Carolina has resulted in delayed food stamps in cities all over the Triad for months.

Cierra and Tyler Lindsey live in Reidsville and are both in community college, hoping to graduate soon and get jobs.

In the meantime they rely on SNAP benefits, food stamps, from the state to help feed their two young sons.

“I was supposed to get food stamps on the third,” explained Cierra, who keeps calling Social Services for answers. “I still haven’t gotten them.”

The voicemail there hasn’t offered much information, she said. “It pretty much says we’ve been having problems with our system for months… and they don’t have a timetable of when you’re going to get them.”

Tyler added, “My food stamps have been late pretty much constantly since August, September… I’m just tired of going through the struggle month to month and pretty much tired of seeing other people struggle, too.”

Cierra is pregnant and worried about her nutrition as she struggles to buy enough food for her family. “I’m nine months pregnant. I can’t live off pantry food. I have a 7 and 9 year old. How am I supposed to be like- well, you can’t eat today or you can only eat ravioli?”

They are thankful for the food stamps they receive, but wish there was more warning when the money was going to be delayed.

The SNAP benefit problems put more pressure on community agencies helping the unemployed and homeless.

Ophelia Brown with the Reidsville Soup Kitchen said, “We have new faces coming in on account of the food stamp problem. They tell me about the food stamps- some of them cut off, some cut back, and most don’t get them anymore at all.”

She tries to help when she can. “If they say they don’t have food at home, I try to fix them a little small bag so they’ll have something to eat that night.”

For families like the Lindseys, the holidays are even harder.

“We have to eat and Christmas is going to be limited,” Tyler said slowly. “No one wants to try to explain that to a child.”

Department of Health and Human Services spokesperson Ricky Diaz says legally he is not allowed to discuss specific cases, but promised to pass the Lindseys’ information to the NC FAST troubleshooting team to help.

• Nicole Joyner Brafford says:

I was watching the news notice Tyler Lindsey went to school with him. Willing to make a donation! God bless them

• Ang says:

Can they not get a job while they are in school or stop having babies they can’t feed? We have 6 at home 3 I’m college my husbands military orders expire dec 31 and he got off his butt and found another job and when I got my job it took me a week! This is just ridiculous I get so tired of hearing about food stamps. Maybe our country wouldn’t be so screwed if people weren’t so dependent on the government to take care of their families for them.

• chucky1992 says:

We’ve ‘raised’ generation after generation of people who don’t know how to help themselves. All they know is how to apply for and get help. The same people don’t know how to plan families or finances. Yet, some people still wonder why this country is in so much debt.

• tyler lindsey says:

Jobs in rockingham county are slim to none. The couple of good paying jobs require certifications…..school+certification=above minimum paying job. Besides read & listen to the topic at hand it wasn’t just about this household. There are other people that lost their jobs and had to rely on foodstamps for their families. Working at McDonalds is not going to get the bills paid

• Ang says:

then drive a little further and go out of rockinham county I drive 30 minutes to work everyday and my husband drives almost an hour that’s no excuse it really isn’t. you don’t have to limit yourself to that one county

• Ang says:

also a mcds paycheck is more than what you get now right? its a paycheck

• Tired of dumb people says:

ang , who do you think pays your husband? Who do you think will pay his disability ? Who do you think funded all of his military training? Who do you think fed him while he was on base? Yes the military are given some bs jobs ( in the kitchen , guard duty ,etc ) WE the tax payers do ! My family receives government assistance and I work 3 jobs and my wife works 1. Child care is not cheap , neither is rent for 3 kids and two adults (if you want your kids to live in a good school district) The fact is the government made it their responsibility when they made the program , to support the American people. We take care of our country!! And a lot if other peoples countries !! Your husband has probably directly aided these other countries as part of his military duties at least once. So who the F are you to act so dumb?? Hypocrite . The government can help who ever they want to , your opinion means nothing . All you are doing is saying something that you most commonly hear on a elementary school playground. “Na na na nah boo boo , I’m better than you , stick your head in doo doo!” Did you want a prize ? Since your doing such a great job? I bet you also had to walk to work to right? All three jobs , up hill both ways , in the snow right ? Even in my time of need when I spend my last few dollars on food to feed my kids , after paying all my bills. I still take the time to help others, throw the change in the bucket by the bell ringer at the front door of the super market . Help people move , helping someone change a tire in the side of the road , etc ,just being a good citizen. Giving back to the community. Everyone needs help at least once. It’s never my responsibility to help , but I will anyways.

• Ang says:

You do realize all military personal pays taxes right?? LOL

• abb says:

Completely agree with anyone who says they should get a job!! I worked full time while I put myself through school. Too many people wanting handouts from hard working people!!

• KP says:

So what about people like me that work 2 jobs, husband works, and we have 3 children, and still have issues with whatever assistance they say we qualify for? I am tired of the bigots like you that have NO LIFE other than worrying about how other people handle their affairs and pay their bills. It is nice that you’ve never needed some extra help- congrats to you. I don’t remember seeing that they don’t work while they go to school- which is providing a better future in itself. Everyone isn’t abusing the system, so if you’re “tired of hearing” it, don’t open the article and read it! SMH

• KP says:

I’m sorry, I see that they plan to get jobs when they graduate. I apologize for that oversight. Still, I’ve worked since I was 14, so I guess I’m paying for my own assistance. “Stop having children they can’t take care of”… Life happens- I was fired when I was pregnant with my last child- but I guess that’s my fault, I’m just lazy. SMH… Ignorance at its finest!

• Rob says:

Okay all you liberals, you jumped all over our Governor about a recent $30 a month cut. So, let’s see you jump all over our Liar n Chief regarding these distinctions at the federal level.

• vic says:

this message is for Ang, first off where do you get off passing jud gement, on people because they complained about their foot steps. Not everyone are born with silver spoons in there mouths life u and your family,god forbids something happens to your husband and you.have to rely on foodstamps. So think before u make stupid comments cause it makes u look stupid and immature

• Richard says:

You don’t have to be born with a silver spoon to realize bringing more children in the world,when you cant feed the ones you have,isn’t very smart and a burden to taxpayers.I wish the couple well on their continuing education.Too bad they didn’t secure a career first though.

Ang was not passing judgment…she was stating a truth.

• Ang says:

it is the PARENTS responsibility to take care of their children not everyone elses. why cant they get a job and be in school? are they in school ALL day? why have more children if you cant feed the ones you have? smh

• abb says:

I was not born with a silver spoon in my mouth. I was taught to work hard for what I earn, not for what other’s earn for me!

• tyler lindsey says:

To nicole joyner I appreciate your support & concern. To the one’s that that had negative input God can take away as fast as he giveth & I hope and pray you don’t fall on hard times.

• Ang says:

we ARE in hard times now and we have 6 at home 3 in college but you know what we work for everything we have we struggle but our kids are fed and bills are paid. most certainly if we couldn’t feed our kids we wouldn’t have any more. I was hardly born with a silver spoon trust me. my mother struggled raising myself and my sister and at one point I was working 3 jobs to take care of my children. it is NOT anyones responsibility to feed or take care of YOUR children. it is yours and yours alone. if anything does happen to my husband he has worked hard his entire life with the military and has made a career for himself and our family so he has life insurance. you have to be responsible and plan your finances to have a family. I just cannot wrap my head around the fact that everyone else OWES you something and are supposed to give you what your family needs. you are the man of the house take care of your pregnant wife and children. I am not trying to be hateful and I am not passing any judgement I am just stating the facts and what it is. our country has gone down the drains over the past several years bc of things like this being one of them. this country has so much debt from handing out everything to everyone people have gotton dependant on everyone else but themselves. my oldest son is in Australia he is 20 he pays his own tuition his rent his food and has a girlfriend and he also told me one day mom I would never start a family or even get married until I know I can support them. I am so proud of him and I pray all my children will grow and learn to take care of themselves and be responsible adults.

• Ang says:

my 3 yr old daughter and I just said her prayers for the night and included your family among others families needing a job to support their families.

I agree with Ang. Why do they not have a job? I had one the entire time I was in school and ever since then.
    If you can not afford to feed the children you have and you are not working, why are you having more?

• Ang says:

I mean it’s not rocket science! Think about your children. Amazing they can afford to go to school I can’t even afford that!

I am sure they are getting school for free too. They will get more food stamps and welfare money as soon as she pops out the next one. Bet their healthcare is all free too.

• opinonated american says:

I am disabled and receive less than 1k per month. I also have custody of a child with no support. I do not and am not eligible for food stamps, yet two health young adults are going to school and bitching because they are late in getting free services. Pleazze. The system needs a seroius revamping.

• Kasey says:

Exactly why make another child if you can’t feed the two you already have? They are probably getting WIC that will help with some basic foods. I think it should be a law that if you are getting assistance you should not be able to reproduce. I have seen too many people just keep having kids and they get more money after each kid.

• heather says:

I work full time for minimum wage, and have a 2 year old. I am a college student and struggle. My job pays for rent and utilities. If i did not have food stamps we would starve cause $900 a month pays bills and gas in car to work.. it doesnt leave room for food diapers or wipes or anything unexpected such as car repair or doctors and it definitely doesnt help when daycares are $150 a week.. try being poor and work full time then maybe u will understand why some people ask for help.

• Ang says:

Atleast u r working neither of them are working

Heather, the point is you are working. If you are working full time and you need help feeding your child. I feel you should get some help. The two in the article are not working, have 2 children they can not afford to feed and she is having another. They need to get a job and work like we all do. I feel the point many here are trying to make is this couple can go to school and work.

• vic says:

you all are a bunch of liberal racist. And i do not receive any type of government assistance in my household.

• vic says:

Try living like these people for a whole month, then and only then will u say u understand how they feel.

• opinionated American says:

I live with the little bit I have. You have to at least help yourself and not expect it given to you. One or the other of the two in the story should be working. Schooling is great but both at same.time. wow.because people who commented don’t necessarily agree doesn’t make us racist

• Ang says:

I have lived like that before……but I didn’t make a news story out of it and ask for handouts for kids I can’t feed and didn’t make more babies I can’t feed. I guess it’s ok to continue footing the bill for people who don’t try to make an income and depend on everyone else’s money to support them

• One day Ang you might need a hand and I bet you wouldn’t want someone acting like a c.Unt like you. if you ever did.

• Ang says:

As I said before JUSTIN I’ve been there and I got off my butt to work and there are more people here that agree with me that don’t. There’s no excuse and no reason to not work esp when you have children I’m sorry you feel that way. If you want to help and believe this family deserves so much why don’t you give your next few paychecks to them so their kids don’t go without? Make sure you take them to the grocery store. Instead of being on hear name calling like a 13 yr old LOL be pro active. Once again I’ll say it for the impaired who cannot read very well I HAVE BEEN THEOUGH THIS BUT IT DID NOT STOP ME FROM WORKING! AND IT DOESNT STOP ME FROM WORKING NOW WE HAVE 6 AT HOME AND WE SONT DEOWND ON ANYONE TO FEED OUR KIDS. Atleast one of them can work to bring in some sort of income. Read the other comments LOL

• Ang says:

Sorry for any misspellings which I’m sure will be pointed out by the ones who think people should always get a hand out. Here’s an idea lets just all stop working and love off the government.

• Fran says:

I guess everyone even those working are having a hard time too. I do not make enough with my job to eat a great variety and I do not qualify for food stamps. I try to make do with what I can get.

• Meg says:

I am a single mother to 2 beautiful babies… a 2 yo and a 5 yo. I do not receive child support (thier father just doesn’t pay it) and I do not receive any govt assistance. I work a full time job M-F 7-330 and I go to school full time at a local college. I was not born with a silver spoon but my parents worked 2 and 3 jobs to provide for my sister and myself. My mom worked and went to school for years and obtained her Master’s. I am not knocking anyone’s situation but I am proof that it can be done and so are my parents. My mother has traveled 45 min to work everyday for 30 years due to our town not having decent or good paying jobs. I also travel 45 min to work each day. I do not agree with people having babies that they can not take care of. If you see that you are struggling with 1 or 2 kids, then why have another?? Birth control is paid at 100% under HCR and sterilization for women is as well. No, my kids and I don’t eat steak and shrimp but they are fed 3 meals a day and nutritious meals at that. And there are some days I cook a crockpot of pintoes and open up a can of green beans and corn and we eat on that for a day or two. There is nothing wrong with that. I also use coupons and I make a dollar stretch!! I am no stranger to struggle but I refuse to be a statistic or see my kids be a statistic.

• Ang says:

Wow meg that’s awesome. You’re doing a great job. Hang in there hun hopefully one day you will get that break you need!! Very inspiring thank you for sharing.

• Meg says:

Thanks Ang! I won’t lie there are days I just want to give up BUT I have 2 little ones that depend on me and only me and I refuse to let them down. Everything I do, I do for them and to see the smiles on their faces. They are my motivation!!!! Thanks for the kind words.

• tyler lindsey says:

Let me break it down for you individuals. I was working while she went to school. The job I was working closed. I tried working through a temp agencies they either had no jobs & 1 other job would have been a conflict due to transpotation. If you negative ppl think I haven’t or don’t want to work think twice. If you feel you can help me get this welding job w/o the required certificate please feel me in. Or if you would like to help get our 2nd vehicle fixed so I can drive from reidsville to asheboro and pitch in on gas feel free. Oh by the way my kids don’t even like steak or shrimp. I could be out here robbing and selling drugs but I’m not. Ang u stated you’ve been there before. That’s my thing with the neg comments you think you are doing good when the unexpected happens

• Ang says:

The news article clearly states neither of you are working now. Excuse after excuse read some of these comments on here of people working hard and trying and even a single mom! If you’re struggling so much why make another baby? I don’t understand your logic on this and neither does anyone else as you can see on the many posts

• Meg says:

I do agree with Ang though… why make another baby? That will just make things harder on the both of you. I think that is a big factor in this story and why a lot of people are looking at it negatively.

• Meg says:

Tyler I never said your kids were eating steak and shrimp. I made that statement because of the ravioli statement in the article. If they eat ravioli 3 times in 1 day, they are still eating. My kids and I have lived off of oodles of noodles and tomato soup so I know your struggle. No it’s not nutritious but it fed us. I do not know your situation. No one knows except you and your family. I was not bashing you or your family. I was simply showing how I do it by myself with 2 kids. And I have been layed off before and I know exactly how you feel. However, I still made it work without assistance. And I was out everyday looking for another job. Fast food, office jobs, retail, industrial you name it I applied. But that was because of choices I made and savings I had from working. I understand you may not have had savings or may have ran through any extra you guys had. Like I said I’m not bashing one bit. If you are bettering yourself then great. I wish the best for you and your family. I don’t wish bad on anyone. I was only stating how I do it and it’s just me. There are 2 of you guys. Yes one is very pregnant and going to school and a lot of places won’t hire a pregnant woman. Im not sure how long it takes to get your welding certificate but I hope it works out for you and I will def keep you and your family in my prayers.

• tyler lindsey says:

Don’t get it wrong everyone is entitled 2 there opinion so no hard feelings. Didi it occur to some that she may have gotten prenant b4 we fell on hard time? But all in all I hope everyone that struggles make itt through. Ang I don’t knw u at all but I can still love you as a person

• concerned citizen says:

Frm my understanding the family was stating how the govt is not helping like they should. Some of you are so insensitive. some of your comments are well passed the point. In no shape or form did I once hear the family as for any handouts. Jobs are hard to come by especially these days and times.my heart and prayers go out to this family. No person can time when they get pregnant. I understand where they are coming from. I myself have seen born american citizens get denied help but mexicans come here and receive all types of assistance. Is it fair for them to come over here with 5+ kids no job and constantly expecting

• concerned citizen says:

If that’s the purpose of SNAP and they met the qualifications then it should be well it is the govt responsibility to make sure the citizens get them ON TIME which was theTOPIC of the story

• Ang says:

IT IS NOT THE GOVERNMENTS RESPONSIBILTY TO TAKE CARE OF PEOPLE AND THEIR KIDS. Man no wonder why this country is the way it is no one wants to WORK they want the people who do work to give them handouts. Taxes go up all the time why?? Bc of things like this. Whatever just whatever LOL

• concerned citizen says:

Getting a job is easier said than done. I have neighbor who lost his job 4yrs ago after working for the same company for 9+yrs. He’s failed to find work after applying at multiple places he and his family had to resort going back to school and rely on EBT. It doesn’t matter if you need help so be it. Your family lived off your husbandsmilitary benefits

• Ang says:

My husband is not retired yet and if you know anything about the military the benefits are just as sucky as the paychecks but he gets a paycheck. I work as well I was always working with my ex husband but when I married my husband now I became a stay at home mom. So for years I stayed home and I just started working again in October of this year. I only have a his diploma. So tell me again how hard it is? People are too picky they want a good job right away. A job that pays is better than no job at all. My husband is also a wounded vet do you realize how long and what he’ll we have to go through to get va benefits and disability? Not to mention we continue to pay taxes from that which goes towards paying for benefits for everyone else who can’t get a JOB. I don’t care if it’s mcds it’s a job and you can continue to go to school and look for a better job or what til u have a degree. There are always excuse after excuse.

• Ang says:

Like meg for instance she’s a single mother doing it on her own!!!! I have so much respect for her. If anyone works and still needs some help with feeding their family that’s a diff story but this family doesn’t work at all put their story on the news etc They should atleast try not oh I have to wait until I get my degree one job is better than nothing at all!

• concerned citizen says:

That’s funny because my uncle spent time in Iraq tried to fill out for Long John silver and was told he was over-qualified. Can your family pay rent,lights,water,gas in car,cleaning supplies,cable,gas heat,co-pay on kids doc visits on a mcdonalds salary? I think not. It may not be “too picky”. I can say this also even the fast food places here in eden aren’t hiring. Some people may just want to make sure they can srvive. Another note is it the taxpayer fault milk is about to go on the rise or people who can’t get work right away? Or what about gas prices? Or what about the jobs that closed or moved to other states or even out of the country

• Ang says:

Oh I see so people than can work are supposed to foot the bill for people who don’t want to work? Yep makes sense to me! Taxes wouldn’t be going up on so many things if so many people wouldn’t have gotten so lazy and dependent on everyone else to work for them

• Ang says:

Once again….a job is a job if it’s not enough then a little hell is understandable! But don’t just sit at home collecting a check and food that someone else pays for and works for. If a person works even at mcds then atleast they have some sort of income and show they are trying but ones who don’t even try? Whatever…..I tired if taking care of my kids and everyone else’s and there are MORE people that agree with me than not. The government and their tax payers are not your baby’s daddy

• david says:

Ang it seems u care more about how many likes you can get like this is facebook. No where in the broadcast did they ask for any handouts what so ever. I’m just curious would u bash this fam if they were white? I have been out of work for almost 2 years. My wife gets disability and I havefilled out app after app. Even temporary services are jobless. At least they are going to school. Besides who are you to say they aren’t trying to find work? From my understanding they really haven’t been getting foodstamps that long anyway. I’m just mad at the fact my household is going through the same thing with her benefits coming late. The husband also so said in a comment that they pretty much fell on hard times so its not like he wasn’t working. So if he “was working” doesn’t that make hime a taxpayer also?

• Ang says:

Ummmm how did the color of ones skin come in to play? What does color have to do with anything? I’d say the same thing for white black Hispanic etc. do you know what color I am? Lol it’s like talking to a bunch of 3 yr olds in here

• Ang says:

And food stamps IS a handout

• Jean says:

I first hope all the cynics on here never need a hand up. I’ve been there, lost a job after 21 years, two children, savings gone in months, no Living Wage Jobs,… Most people on SNAP are the working poor – but we focus on those that abuse the system, that needs to be fixed but don’t generalize.
    BUT, this is about a system that is inefficient and failing to provide reasonable time – the old system did NOT have this problem and our leaders (ordered under Perdue, but still should be monitored and scrubbed actually under current admin. spent $43 MILLION dollars on! How many people would that feed? How many jobs would that provide? How much has been spent trying to make it work? Prior years the wait was under 30 days, recertification’s if returned on time never missed a day – I know many who have had to ask for help and now they are just waiting up to 90 days. Very good use of your/my tax dollars!

• Ang says:

Please explain WHY it’s the governments and taxpayers job to take care of others families? No one has answered that yet??

• Meg says:

I wasn’t gonig to speak on this anymore but I must ask how did anyone’s race become a factor??? Honestly, I just read the article. I didn’t watch the clip so I had no idea what race this family is. No one knows what race myself or anyone commenting ont his article is either. I do understand exactly what Ang is saying and I also understand what Tyler and his family are saying. However, I have seen several (and I mean several) places that were hiring for seasonal help. Now yes seasonal is not full time and is not a guaranteed position but a lot of those seasonal positions go at least permanent part time. And no it is NOT the govt’s responsibility to take care of me or anyone in this country. That is what Ang is trying to get across!!!! Yes, this state spent millions on a system that is failing and I have a family member that works at DSS in my county and she is irrate at the system and the decision to move to this system. However, what can anyone really do?? What will people do if the govt shuts down again and people lose any and all help??? Or what if the govt just stops giving and giving and giving to people period?? Those times are coming! If you are not happy with the govt or the system, then do your best to do what you can so you don’t have to deal with the system or the govt. I work hard to provide for myself and my kids. Imagine paying over $1200 just in daycare so I can work??? Yes, that is what I pay just for daycare. On one income!!!!! Let’s not count rent, lights, water, gas to get to work and food. We go without cable right now and any other wants that are not a need. No, this family is not asking for handouts and no one ever said they were. I made sure I said a prayer for them and I will continue to do so. They have seen good days and I am sure they will see even better days. But race was never a factor so let’s please stop always talking about race. It is 2013 !!!!

• Ang says:

Yep!! David pulled that race card out! I’ve come to realize it’s like talking to a 3 yr old. They are really not getting across what I’m saying :-/ then you have the incompetent fool who thinks service members don’t pay taxes. People on here have resorted to name calling and racism it really shows what kind of people they really are. Just bc I disagree with gov help does not mean I’m a bad person or don’t try to help others. I’ve been down this road but never once did I stop working I would now someone’s grass or yard work if I had too. I worked hard to be where I am now. And I did it on my own. Meg I was a single mom too and we are strong women so you will push up and succeed and I promise u it won’t be like this forever. I also prayer for Tyler and his family the other night with my 3 yr old. And other families as well. I have seen plenty of homeless broken down flat tires people etc and I’ve never just drove by. This has become a moot point and it clearly isn’t getting across to the racist name calling hypocritical liberals. Good luck meg in your journey. God bless everyone here and may He cover you with His love and protection always.

• Tired of dumb people says:

Yes I know the military pays taxes BUT do you think the military supports it self? Look up how much the government spends !! Over 600 billion!! lol , do your research dummy!

• Ang says:

I bet you could protect this country by playing your modern warfare 2 on your ps3 right? Did you take an oath? If you don’t support our military please feel free to stand in front of them. Very sad that you have such little education that you have resorted to name calling LOL Hope it gets better for you :-)

• Ang says:

And I wonder why the government spends so much?? Planned parenthood wic food stamps welfare section 8 etc etc etc :-/ All free programs for people who would rather get it for free

• Tired of dumb people says:

All told, the U.S. government spent about $718 billion on defense and international security assistance in 2011 — more than it spent on Medicare. That includes all of the Pentagon’s underlying costs as well as the price tag for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, which came to $159 billion in 2011. It also includes arms transfers to foreign governments. – Washington post

• Tired of dumb people says:

Name calling? I called you a hypocrite yes , my little brothers in the military , who said I didn’t support it? And who said I play games? I don’t even own a game system because video games don’t feed my family . Who said I’m not educated? Woman you have got some major issues , your not better than anyone getting government assistance. One day you will be in need . And did you even read my post?

• Ang says:

That’s funny I read the word dummy as well? I don’t have issues I just have learned to WORK for everything I have. Did you even read my posts???? I have been there!! I have not eaten to feed my kids I’ve been there! Hello!!?? I have to go to WORK now something maybe you should do as well. Have a great day and a Merry Christmas

• Tired of dumb people says:

Dummy was a observation. And you do have many issues . I just hope your children don’t turn out like you. And what part of I work three jobs did you not read? I’m on my lunch break lol

• Nelda P says:

You are very rude. I understand both sides. Leave it at that and stop arguing behind a computer.

• Tired of dumb people says:

What’s rude is beating down a family who was brave enough to put their hardships on the news for the world to see . All I’m doing is standing up to a bully.

• Nelda P says:

This person Ang sounds like they are stating their opinion as you. It sounds like you are being a bully too. As old as I am it is pretty petty to fight over something like this over the internet and be so dishearted and rude to one another. You are being no better. Everyone has their right to voice their opinion it doesn’t mean we all have to agree. I think everyone is going through some sort of hardship right now.

• Tired of dumb people says:

I understand what you are saying , I wasn’t even gonna say anything . But after it got over 60 posts long and all it was doing was putting the family down more and more , people got so full of themselves it makes me angry. I just don’t understand why people have to down other people because they ask for help. If anything at least they did ask for assistance instead of letting them do without. I’m a huge human rights supporter and hate to see someone being ridaculed , and the story was supposed to be about problems with the system .

• Tired of dumb people says:

And to the family that was in the clip , keep your head up. Your doing nothing wrong. Lots of people need assistance in hard times. Once you both earn your degrees just prove them wrong and pay it forward. Once you get back on your feet and no longer need any assistance , help someone else in need . Good for you for going to school to better yourselves and your family . Have a great holiday !

• david says:

Tired of dumb people you hit it dead on the money.how do u bash a family going through hardship on something the govt provides. All we can do is either help and/or pray. Foodstamps are no differ from “give a kid a coat” or toys for tots

• Meg says:

Thank you Ang!

• BH says:

What ever happened to survival of the fittest?

• monique says:

9 months pregnant and you cant feed the two that you have now. that should tell you something cierra and your baby daddy. in schoool, whop de-doo. what pays your bills every month? just wondering? because you cant rely on the government every month to take care of you and your family

• smh says:

Its really sad when people are trying to better themselves, and all a bunch of you can do is talk down on them. Don’t get me wrong I work and have ALWAYS worked. I have 3 children myself and I still need assistance. Wait until something drastic happens and you find yourself in need of assistance, then come back and comment.

• Missingthepoint says:

Ang I don’t know how you have time to work with all of these comments. I am a teacher and single mother of two. I have not received child support in 3 months. I applied for food stamps in October and have yet to receive acceptance or denial. It seems they are still processing my application. (And yes, I’m pretty sure I will qualify even as a full time teacher). If I didn’t have my family’s help then there is no way we could survive. I can’t afford child care period. The point of this article was to show how NC Fast (what irony!) and its problems are seriously affecting people in real need. If the food stamps program were a broken bridge in the Outer Banks, (vacation property of the rich), then maybe something would get done about it.