Kmart Christmas commercial causes controversy

Posted on: 7:13 am, November 19, 2013, by , updated on: 07:14am, November 19, 2013

Love it or hate it, the new Kmart commercial is causing some controversy.

The commercial depicts a group of men in tuxedo tops and boxer shorts shaking their booty to “Jingle Bells.”

Dubbed “Show Your Joe,” the commercial begins with six men, who appear to be dressed in tuxedos, standing behind a curtain while ringing bells.

However, a few seconds later the curtain is whisked away, revealing the men’s bottoms are clad in Joe Boxer underwear.

The commercial is part of a new advertising campaign for Joe Boxer, a brand of underwear and related apparel sold exclusively at Kmart and Sears.

People have swarmed the Kmart Facebook page with both complaints and compliments.

“Please know that not only will I NOT be shopping at your business on Thanksgiving Day, but because of your heartless disregard of your employees in this manner, I will refuse to patronize your stores AT ALL this holiday season,” said one dissatisfied shopper.

Another person disagreed and raved about the commercial.

“I love the Joe Boxer commercial. I don’t know what the big hype is about it being distasteful. People need to lighten up and enjoy a good laugh. Well done. I’ll buy my hubby a pair or two!”

• Sheila Kemp says:

So what is so wrong with this vs all the Victoria Secret commercials and the girls have on so little they look like hookers and prolly are, just sayin

• Janice says:

I agree Sheila….nobody complains at all about the Victoria Secret commercials advertising their bra’s…….I say if you don’t like it don’t watch it, if you don’t want to shop there then don’t.

• Roni says:

I agree its about time we got a giggle

• mamabird says:

I agree with you on this. At least they aren’t half naked like the Victoria Secrets models.

• Starr says:

Atleast their not Swinging on a wrecking ball naked or smokeing a joint!!!

• dgrimes says:

Loved it, loved it, loved it.

• KBondurant says:

Absolutely LOVE it! Some people just have too much time on their hands to complain about this. Job well done…..both KMart and the guys!!!!

LOL Ok that was just funny. As others have said…nobody is all upset about the VS ads where the woman are in the smallest bra and panties they can be in. It is an add for boxers…what do you want them to do?

• Donna says:

I thought it was GREAT!!!

• victoria says:

loved it the only thing they could have done better was have them turn around so we could see there very shapely bottoms shaking.mmmmmmm

• Sherri says:

Now that was really, really funny! I enjoyed that!

• Sandra says:

I agree if its ok for women to do bra an panty adds with out covering them up then its ok to do a mens underware add. You dont see poeple complaining about Jockey commercials so why knock the Joe Boxer ones. How can you advertise underware in general if you cover them up?

• Jennifer Mullis says:

I personally thought it was hilarious! They have more clothing on than any Victoria secrets commercial! I would much rather watch this than a bunch of stick skinny models in less material that comes on a bikini. There isn’t anything wrong with it. Made me laugh this morning so I’m good with it!

• Galloway5 says:

well, atleast it wasn’t bikini breafs! HA :)

• claire wright says:

I loved it!!!!!!!!!!!! They more on than VS bra adds. The people that disagree are the ones who watch violent shows and all the guts and glory. Take 2 minutes and watch something that is cute and in no way dirty or degrading. I clicked it 3 times because it was cute!!!

• Kathy says:

I agree with some of the above comments. There seems to be little complaint with Victoria Secrets women dressed with little on and with angel wings. These men are completely covered shaking to Jingle Bells. It is funny and certainly is a clever way to sell boxer shorts. If you don’t care for the commercial don ‘t watch it.

• Rob Taylor says:

Kathy,
      How does one explain this ad to their children. TV is getting way too raunchy.

• Nope…not even. Back in the 80s when I was in Germany, it was not unheard of to have nudity in commercials…pretty much anywhere in Europe.
        If thats too much for some of you, I doubt a few will ever have children….LOL…the bedrooms too “raunchy”…

• Mad Brown says:

Finally a commercial for Women!!

• Pamela says:

Haha! Thats hilarious! (Laughing at the idiots offended by this commercial but the commercial itself is funny too!) Get over it. Its an underwear ad. There are more important things to worry about than this.

• Darla Clamens says:

Love it. Get a life people.

• Bev McLaughlin says:

Fun to watch and better than all those Victoria Secret ads! I think the vote is in! This ad beats all the others. And I bet no one is putting on the mute when it comes on!

• Margaret says:

The best Christmas commercial.. it would be interesting to see what the folks whomever sees this as inappropriate say about Victoria Secret or Hardee’s ads where the girl is scantily clad trying to put a hamburger in her mouth dripping with sauce….this commercial is good clean fun and there are some guys I would LOVE to help ring the bells!

• Tacky………now run to Kmart and buy mens underwear…..don’t think so!

• Ryan says:

Wow that was freakin funny stuff….how could you be offended by that, if you were you have no sense of humor and need to get out more.

• catherine furr says:

cute and entertaining-love it

• Susan says:

i love it but it is not appropriate for children.

• Judy says:

love it, why cant men show their underwear, nobody says anything about Victoria Secret, they show everything and more

• Rob Taylor says:

Betty,
      I mute ALL commercials. By the way I don’t care for the VS ads either. Neither one should be on TV.

• Cindy says:

Love the commercial!!! It’s funny and nothing more.
        Grow up Rob. We are past the days of Elvis on the
        Ed Sullivan show where people could only be seen above the waist.
        It’s called shaking your booty and kids have been doing this
        In kindergarten since 1950 when learning the Mexican hat dance.
        Do u really think hiding this stuff from your kids is going to work?
        Nope. Hiding stuff from kids only creates a heightened desire for it.
        It needs to be seen and explained. Then life goes on. Merry Christmas

• Wendy says:

There are much more important things to worry about than this. This was funny, and I needed the laugh.

• Rob Taylor says:

Wendy,
      Look up the word VULGAR.

• Look up “repressed”, and “uptight”, then, for giggles and grins, go look in the mirror and know that thats as good as it gets. ..prob the poster child for “The 40 year old Virgin”
        Hell, if thats “Vulgar”, Id hate for you to see anything from Europe…

• Rob Taylor says:

Stephen,
        You NEED to get right with the Lord while you can. That’s ALL that I have to say to you.

• Tammy says:

Some people have no sense of humor! Brilliant commercial! I loved it! Merry Christmas!

• Darlene says:

I love it!!! Definitely gets your attention!!! Awesome commercial!!! Merry Christmas everyone!!!

• Nothing is even being showed! How about the VS commercials that practically have nipples showing? I think its cute and about time that they start appealing to women shoppers more!

• Ann York says:

LOL I LOVE IT!!! :)

• Joy says:

ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! FACING SOME DIFFICULTIES, BUT THIS MADE MY DAY! CAN’T STOP LAUGHING! DON’T WANT TO!

• Sybil says:

Loved it!!As for children watching it well,almost naked women are everywhere on tv and what about all the violence kids see on tv?Don’t understand the difference except that we were brought up that women are the ones to be “toyed with”

• Joan says:

This is the most brilliant commercial I have seen in a very long time, and I used to own an advertising agency! Bravo!

• nelly says:

Awesome finally something women can enjoy… there’s already enough advertising towards men.

• Love it. I even giggled a bit. Happy Holidays to the men in this video. Great job.

• Nutmeg says:

The first comment quoted here is not even aboutt he commercial, but about their being open on thanksgiving.

• Nicole says:

People need to get a life!! They will find anything to get mad over. I think its cute and well practiced.

• BRSLIBBY@CHARTER.NET says:

I THINK THIS IS A GREAT COMMERCIAL, IT GETS YOUR ATTENTION! MY SISTERS AND I ARE GOING TO PURCHASE
    THESE FOR GIFTS THIS HOLIDAY SEASON. BECAUSE OF YOUR
    COMMERCIAL.

• BRSLIBBY@CHARTER.NET says:

I RECEIVE CATALOGS REGULARLY AND THIS COMMERCIAL IS NO
    WORSE THAN THE ADS IN THE CATALOG. THERE IS AWAYS SOMEONE THAT HAS TO WHINE ABOUT THEIR DISAPPROVAL OF
    ANYTHING. TELL THEM TO GET A LIFE AND GO TO KMART TRY A
    PAIR. IT MAY MAKE THEIR DAY GO BETTER
    JENNIE

• Kelly says:

Luv it :) My friends and I thought it was funny!! Great Christmas Jingle…Go Joe Boxers…..

• Jen says:

I love it!! I agree its no worse than Victoria Secret ads… this one is obviously trying to aim more towards women! That was great and I will be shopping at KMart this holiday season!

• Cindy says:

Love this commercial!!!!!!!!!
    I will buy loads of Joe Boxers this year!!!

• Diane says:

Love the commercial!!!!! Bravo Kmart and your advertising agency – your latest commercials are brilliant!!!!!!!!

• Robert says:

What is wrong with people today. This is 2013 soon 2014. Some of you white collared folks act like its 1950. If you don’t like it keep the TV off. Grow up.

• Rob Taylor says:

Robert,
      Time has nothing to do with class. If you think that that ad should be on TV, you don’t have any.

• Betty says:

I love it and thought it was funny. And it’s about time they had a men’s underwear commercial. It maybe inappropriate for little children, but they show it at night, what’s the big deal. Nobody’s complaining about the Victoria Secret, Kate Upton (and she’s constantly jigging), and all those girls in the Carl’s Jr. commercials.

• Cindy says:

I am buying joe boxers for my circle of family and friends!!!!
    Coolest commercial out there!!

• Jacquie doucette says:

Loved it. Anyone not seeing the humor in this commercial should get a life.

• Gene says:

How many wrongs make a right?

• Gene says:

Garbage out garbage in. For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts. People have a heart problem.