NC child found handcuffed to porch with dead chicken around his neck

Posted on: 11:24 am, November 16, 2013, by , updated on: 11:00pm, November 16, 2013

Dorian Lee Harper and Wanda Sue Larson, both 57, and of Union County.

Dorian Lee Harper and Wanda Sue Larson, both 57, and of Union County.

UNION COUNTY, N.C. — A North Carolina married couple was arrested after authorities said a child was found handcuffed to a porch with a dead chicken around his neck.

The News & Observer reported that Dorian Lee Harper and Wanda Sue Larson, both 57 and of Union County, face various charges including child abuse.

Union County deputies said they were investigating an animal service complaint Friday at a neighboring home when the child was discovered at 4116 Austin Road, south of Monroe.

The investigating deputy said he came across a shivering child handcuffed by the ankle to the railing. The child was described as being around 10-12 years old.

Moments later, deputies said a man appeared on the porch along with another child that released several dogs on the officer.

The deputy reportedly went back to his patrol car and the man then removed the handcuffed child from the porch and put the dead chicken on a barrel.

Deputies said one of the suspects, Larson, is a Child Protective Services supervisor in Union County.

Officials said she and her husband had adopted four children and were serving as foster parents for a fifth child.

Deputies said when they searched the home shortly later; they found five children, ages 8, 9, 11, 13 and 14. Authorities said the children have been removed from the home.

Deputies said the suspects were charged with intentional child abuse inflicting serious injury, false imprisonment and cruelty to animals.

They were both placed in the Union County Jail and have court planned for Monday. Harper was given a $500,000 bond and Larson a $525,000 bond.

Read more: The News & Observer

• Rachel says:

freakin animals! I hope they STAY in prison

• don’t EVER let these 2 POS idiots out on the street again

• sam g says:

Just think she is receiving checks for the children they are abusing!

• These people are scum of the earth and don’t even deserve to breath.

• greg street says:

They need to chain them aholes to porch with a dead cow on their necks for a year.

• Lynn says:

Whoever supervises this woman also should be investigated. This type of animal usually has accomplices. Hang em high!

• heathermcamp says:

Am I the only person to whom voodoo occurred?

• Mark Stabler says:

A child protective supervisor? I wonder how long it will take to get her fired from her government job? I also wonder how much money these two are drawing from various government sources for the children..I doubt they adopted four and serve as foster parents out of the goodness of their hearts. What a way to raise children and what can you expect of them when they are grown.

• Facts Please says:

I doubt voodoo, maybe it was so the dang dogs would attack the chicken and maul the child. If these trashy pieces of horse squeeze ever are allowed to hold custody over a child then the UNION county DA and Law Enforcment should apply for new jobs.

• DSV says:

White Trash! Enough Said!!

I am sure these people are doing this just for the money and the social services they receive for these children. If one is in the foster care system, why was there no house checks? Not enough money in the budget to hire enough people to do the checks? I would give up a few days a month to do it for free. Someone has to keep an eye on these poor kids and make sure thy are treated properly.

• Marly Duran says:

I don’t think it was due to lack of funds that the house wasn’t checked. It’s because the woman, Wanda Sue Larson, was the Social Services supervisor. I’m sure she bypassed home inspections to get all those kids into her home. Who knows what the families who are her cases are like. This case is going to get bigger before it gets settled. I wish it was a death penalty case.

• Hope they both get the death penalty!! they don’t deserve to live

• Angie says:

I say fry them both.

• anhal says:

I cannot find word to express how sad I am for those children. How does a child ever get over abuse like that? I cannot understand how someone could do that to a child.

• Ridiculous says:

I can’t believe they gave these people a bond they deserve no bond! They tortured and abused a child and an animal. I can only hope karma comes around and bites these two with a long prison sentence.

• Joann Duke says:

I’m not surprised that they worked for DSS cause my 2 grandchildren told the cps about abuse themselves and nothing was done, so if this had of been reported by someone, they wouldn’t be in jail. A police officer called about my 2 grandchildren and still nothing has been done, only when 1 of them turn up dead will anything be said, it is a shame so much of this stuff happens and when it’s reported nothing happens

• TeeTee says:

Picture=No Surprise, right Faith C?

• missy says:

This is the reason children keep turning up dead. you have people like this over child protective services! The people that don’t need cps involved have them breathing down their neck and the ones like this have no issues! Just like the Zarah Baker case in Lenoir NC. CPS was called numerous times including reports with a black eye but they done absolutely nothing and she turned up dead!

• terrie brown says:

Yep it’s sad that cps only bothers the ones that they have no business bothering and people like this can do the most evil things to children and worked in the hospital gross glad I don’t live in that county

• Luther says:

At least the boy is old enough to testify against them at their trial.

• Louise says:

So many ppl that want children and animals like this get to draw a check to abuse them. So said the justice system overlooks the innocent children and the elderly. There needs to be an overhaul of who is in charge