Local Boston Marathon survivor named starter in Charlotte marathon
Nicole Gross, a Charlotte woman hurt in the Boston Marathon bombings, will be the official starter for this weekend's Thunder Road Marathon.
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — A Charlotte woman, who was injured the the Boston Marathon bombings, will be the official starter for a marathon in Charlotte this weekend.
Nicole Gross was cheering on her mom at this finish line in Boston, when the bombs exploded.
The blast broke both of her legs. Her husband and sister were also hurt.
Now, they are all taking part in the 5K portion of the Thunder Road Marathon in Charlotte.
Thunder Road is a qualifier race for the Boston Marathon.
The race starts in Uptown Charlotte at 7:45 a.m. Saturday.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Man catches massive 805-pound shark, won't share his secret
- Randolph Co. middle school employee accused of sending obscene images to teenage girl
- NC girl kicked out of prom for wearing pants
- 'Ice Road Truckers' star accused of kidnapping prostitute, threatens to kill her over $1k