Local Boston Marathon survivor named starter in Charlotte marathon
Nicole Gross, a Charlotte woman hurt in the Boston Marathon bombings, will be the official starter for this weekend's Thunder Road Marathon.
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — A Charlotte woman, who was injured the the Boston Marathon bombings, will be the official starter for a marathon in Charlotte this weekend.
Nicole Gross was cheering on her mom at this finish line in Boston, when the bombs exploded.
The blast broke both of her legs. Her husband and sister were also hurt.
Now, they are all taking part in the 5K portion of the Thunder Road Marathon in Charlotte.
Thunder Road is a qualifier race for the Boston Marathon.
The race starts in Uptown Charlotte at 7:45 a.m. Saturday.
- 40 people arrested across NC for human trafficking
- Why were huge military planes flying over the Piedmont today?
- The real story behind the 'train selfie' and the man kicked in head by 'conductor'
- Lexington man killed in accident on I-85 in Davidson Co.
- Judge tells convicted killer 'I hope you die in prison'