Officials determine cause of D.H. Griffin fire
GREENSBORO, N.C. — A fire at D.H. Griffin that created massive plumes of smoke around Guilford County on Friday was caused by an energized magnet, according to investigators.
Officials say a heavy machinery operator was using an energized magnet to transfer powdered metals to a 50-foot pile of old appliances when a flash fire ignited.
It is believed that either static electricity or an electrical spark was the ignition source.
Officials say that due to the magnitude of the fire, an exact ignition source cannot be determined.
The Greensboro fire department initially responded to the scene of the fire at 4716 Hilltop Road around 8:20 a.m. Friday morning.
Smoke could be seen billowing throughout the county well into the afternoon.
D.H. Griffin Companies is a group of six independently owned companies that perform contract demolition as well as environmental and site development services.
- 40 people arrested across NC for human trafficking
- Why were huge military planes flying over the Piedmont today?
- The real story behind the 'train selfie' and the man kicked in head by 'conductor'
- Lexington man killed in accident on I-85 in Davidson Co.
- Judge tells convicted killer 'I hope you die in prison'