Officials determine cause of D.H. Griffin fire


GREENSBORO, N.C. — A fire at D.H. Griffin that created massive plumes of smoke around Guilford County on Friday was caused by an energized magnet, according to investigators.

Officials say a heavy machinery operator was using an energized magnet to transfer powdered metals to a 50-foot pile of old appliances when a flash fire ignited.

It is believed that either static electricity or an electrical spark was the ignition source.

Officials say that due to the magnitude of the fire, an exact ignition source cannot be determined.

The Greensboro fire department initially responded to the scene of the fire at 4716 Hilltop Road around 8:20 a.m. Friday morning.

Smoke could be seen billowing throughout the county well into the afternoon.

D.H. Griffin Companies is a group of six independently owned companies that perform contract demolition as well as environmental and site development services.

Filed in: Morning Show, News

Suggest a correction


Comments are closed.


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 76,714 other followers