Police cruiser crashes off bridge in Asheville, officer dies
ASHEVILLE, N.C. — An Asheville police officer died on Tuesday after he crashed his cruiser off the Jeff Bowen Bridge on Tuesday afternoon, according to WLOS.
According to police, Officer Robert Bingaman was in the vehicle when it plunged from the bridge just before 1 p.m.
A witness told WLOS the cruiser appeared to be going at a high rate of speed and was not using its lights or siren when it crashed.
Rescue workers extracted the officer from the vehicle around 1:30 p.m.
Chief William Anderson said, “Our prayers and deepest condolences are with Officer Bingaman and his family.” He said Officer Bingaman was a “great guy who did his job.”
Read more: WLOS
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Silver Alert issued for woman missing from Winston-Salem
- Man catches massive 805-pound shark, won't share his secret
- NC girl kicked out of prom for wearing pants
- 'Ice Road Truckers' star accused of kidnapping prostitute, threatens to kill her over $1k