Teen struck, killed on way to bus stop in Rowan Co.; driver charged
ROWAN COUNTY, N.C. — A teenager pedestrian, who was struck and killed Thursday morning near Salisbury, has been ID’d by school officials.
WSOC reported that Makinzy Jordan Smith, a junior at the West Rowan High School, was trying to cross Woodleaf Road to get to his school bus stop when he was struck around 6:52 a.m.
Investigators said the driver, Barbara Harrison Smith, 57, is charged with felony passing a stopped school bus. They are looking into whether the driver was distracted or speeding.
Crews performed CPR on the teen, but they were unsuccessful.
Read more: WSOC
- Woman killed in wreck on southbound Business 85 in High Point
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Baby born Tuesday is largest hospital has seen in over a decade
- Woman admits to stealing toy from child's grave, explains why she did it
- Tenn. girl wakes up for school, finds parents dead inside home