Lexington woman selected as ‘More Magazine’ beauty winner
More Magazine October Issue (More Magazine Facebook page)
LEXINGTON, N.C. — Lexington resident Evelyn Harris, 71, was featured in the October issue of More Magazine with three other women as a “Beauty Search” winner, according to The Lexington Dispatch.
The contest was held to celebrate reader of all ages who “look and feel beautiful.”
Harris, an avid reader of the publication, saw the advertisement and decided to enter the contest.
“I don’t know why they picked me,” Harris, 71, said. “I do think they liked my story.”
In March, Harris emailed an essay and submitted a picture. There were four age groups — 30s, 40s, 50s and 60-plus.
Harris said she was ecstatic when she received a call about being selected in the top 20.
“I fell down to the ground. I was speechless,” Harris said told the paper. “I just didn’t think this would happen to me.”
The winners received an all-expenses-paid trip to New York City for a photo shoot featured in the October issue.
The winners also received $5,000 in cash, which Harris donated to the Lexington Youth Theatre and Arts for Charity of Davidson County.
Read more: The Lexington Dispatch
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Update: Silver Alert canceled for Forsyth County woman
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- 3 arrested, 1 sought in Davidson Co. kidnapping, assault