DAVIDSON COUNTY, N.C. — An 80-year-old woman is dead and another woman is seriously injured after an early morning house fire in Davidson County.
Crews responded to 465 Rich Hilton Road in Thomasville around 6:15 a.m. after a man and his wife saw the fire while they were driving by and called 911.
Jimmy Hilton said his mother, 80-year-old Betty Lou Hilton, was the woman who died in the fire. He said his wife, 60-year-old Debbie Hilton, is the woman who was rescued. He said Debbie has second and third degree burns but hopes she will recover.
Jimmy Hilton lives just next door and had just dropped his wife off at his mother’s house around 5:30 a.m. He said the two were both disabled and cared for each other during the day.
The couple who was driving by stopped when they saw the house on fire. The wife called 9-1-1 and her husband, who neighbors call Arturo, ran into the home trying to help.
A volunteer firefighter also arrived at the scene and helped with the rescue. They managed to get Debbie Hilton from the home just in time. They found her near the home’s carport area and dragged her to safety.
Debbie Hilton was taken to Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center where she is being treated for burns.
Betty Lou Hilton was unable to escape and died at the scene.
Sheriff Grice said both women were attempting to exit the home, but the older woman used a walker and could not get out.
Fire officials said faulty electrical wiring inside the home likely caused the fire. Several fire departments and medical personnel responded to the scene.