Thomasville man accepts plea in pedestrian fatality
THOMASVILLE, N.C. — A Thomasville man charged in connection to a hit-and-run wreck that left a pedestrian dead earlier this year pleaded no contest to a lesser charge.
The Thomasville Times reported that 21-year-old Ronald Wayne Warren pleaded no contest Thursday to misdemeanor death by a motor vehicle in the death of 50-year-old Gussie Pearson.
Warren received a 60-day suspended sentence and ordered to pay $10,000 in restitution to the victim’s family.
Police said they found Pearson lying unresponsive in the area of 206 National Highway around 5:51 p.m. Friday, Jan. 4.
Authorities said the vehicle that struck Pearson continued driving after the wreck and Warren later returned to the scene and admitted responsibility.
Police said the victim was taken to Thomasville Medical Center where he succumbed to his injuries.
Thomasville police charged Warren on Jan. 10 with felony hit and run resulting in serious injury/death.
Read more: The Thomasville Times