SC man spotted mowing the lawn outside the Lincoln Memorial (PHOTO)
WASHINGTON — A man, armed with a lawnmower and a South Carolina state flag, was spotted mowing the lawn in front of the Lincoln Memorial on Wednesday afternoon.
With lawmakers debating over the government shutdown, the man took it upon himself to make sure the lawn was mowed outside one of the nation’s most iconic landmarks.
CBS Washington identified the ‘Memorial Mower’ as Chris Cox, of South Carolina, who said he is not motivated by political reasons, but rather because he feels obligated to help as veterans prepare descend on the nation’s capital for this weekend’s Million Vet March.
Cox said he is the lone member of the ‘Memorial Militia,’ and he is on a mission to clean up the National Mall. The man brought other landscaping tools, prepared and ready to help the government during the shutdown, including cleaning up a fallen branch near the reflecting pool.
According to the Weekly Standard, police were alerted and several officers responded to the Lincoln Memorial on Wednesday. The man was asked to leave the property and he complied.
According to the report, no arrests were made.
Spotted outside Lincoln Memorial - random dude mowing. http://t.co/ywJggp4j8Z—
Sally (@sallyhs) October 09, 2013
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Update: Silver Alert canceled for Forsyth County woman
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- 3 arrested, 1 sought in Davidson Co. kidnapping, assault