Rape charges against ex-Temple football player dropped
PHILADELPHIA — All charges have been dropped against a former member of Temple University’s football team who was accused of rape, according to the Associated Press.
Attorneys for 20-year-old Praise Martin-Oguike said the charges were dismissed on Monday as jury selection was scheduled to begin.
The woman initially told police Martin-Oguike assaulted her in May 2012 in his dorm room. Martin-Oguike insisted the encounter was consensual.
Martin-Oguike’s attorney James Funt said charges were dropped after a review of the woman’s text messages with her friends indicated she was not truthful about being raped.
Funt said the former Temple linebacker was victimized by the woman “simply because he would not agree to have a romantic long-term relationship with her.”
Martin-Oguike was suspended from the team after he was charged and now attends a New Jersey community college.
Source: Associated Press
- Watch WWE's touching tribute to The Ultimate Warrior
- 'Blood moon' timeline: Event will be a sight to behold, weather permitting
- 79-year-old 'Britain's Got Talent' dancer stuns Simon Cowell with her moves
- 24 people apply for 'World's Toughest Job,' get an emotional surprise at end of interview
- The Ultimate Warrior's cause of death revealed in autopsy