Driver in fatal Stokes County crash faces charges
WALNUT COVE, N.C. — The driver of a pickup truck involved in a fatal crash Friday night in Stokes County has been charged in connection with his role in the incident, authorities said Monday.
Justin Watkins, 24, who lives in the Lawsonville community in northern Stokes County, was charged with driving while impaired and driving left of center, said Trooper Ronnie Baker of the N.C. Highway Patrol.
Watkins was driving a 1989 Chevrolet pickup that crossed the center lane in the 3700 block of N.C. 89 in Walnut Cove shortly before midnight and struck a car carrying three people, Baker said.
Brandon Ferris, 20, and Lester Levine, 15, died as a result of the crash, authorities said. Watkins was injured and was treated at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center, Baker said.
Other charges are pending against Watkins, Baker said.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Update: Silver Alert canceled for Forsyth County woman
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- 3 arrested, 1 sought in Davidson Co. kidnapping, assault