Woman fatally struck near Highway 109 in Denton
DENTON, N.C. — Police say a woman was fatally struck Monday morning near Highway 109 in Davidson County.
Denton Police Chief Mark Hicks says Mary Sexton, 50, of Denton, was struck shortly before 8 a.m. on Farmer Road, about 1/10 of a mile east of the highway.
According to Chief Hicks, Sexton was walking down the side of the road and stepped into the vehicle’s path as it was passing her.
Investigators are not sure where Sexton was walking to or from.
No charges have been filed against the driver of the vehicle, but Hicks said the investigation is ongoing.
A Denton police officer was involved in a separate collision while responding to the accident. The officer, who was identified as Cody Fritts, had his lights and siren activated when he struck another vehicle at the intersection of Highway 109 and Salisbury Street, Hicks said.
Nobody was injured in the collision, however the patrol car will likely be totaled, Hicks said.
The State Highway Patrol is investigating the accident. It was not clear if charges are expected to be filed.
- This is why you don't take a selfie next to a moving train
- Remains of teens missing since 1971 found in submerged car
- Wu-Tang Clan affiliated rapper severs penis, jumps off building
- Woman shot dead while on phone with 911 for 13 minutes
- 24 people apply for 'World's Toughest Job,' get an emotional surprise at end of interview