Elon’s Lawrence Slade Park to get facelift
ELON, N.C. — A $162,000 grant, along with community and private donations, will pay for a face lift at Elon’s Lawrence Slade Park.
The renovations are expected to take about a year to complete and add an amphitheater, an improved picnic shelter, a larger play set and handicap accessible paths to the park.
A donation from Frank Haith, former Elon resident and current University of Missouri Men’s basketball coach will help pay for a new basketball court.
“Kids today like to play Playstation and stay inside. To beautify this park and upgrade the facilities is important to me” Haith said.
Haith plans to hold basketball camps for elementary school kids at the new basketball courts.
Park officials say without the donations, the improvements would have taken four to five years.
- This is why you don't take a selfie next to a moving train
- 24 people apply for 'World's Toughest Job,' get an emotional surprise at end of interview
- 79-year-old 'Britain's Got Talent' dancer stuns Simon Cowell with her moves
- Watch WWE's touching tribute to The Ultimate Warrior
- 'Blood moon' timeline: Event will be a sight to behold, weather permitting