Elon’s Lawrence Slade Park to get facelift
ELON, N.C. — A $162,000 grant, along with community and private donations, will pay for a face lift at Elon’s Lawrence Slade Park.
The renovations are expected to take about a year to complete and add an amphitheater, an improved picnic shelter, a larger play set and handicap accessible paths to the park.
A donation from Frank Haith, former Elon resident and current University of Missouri Men’s basketball coach will help pay for a new basketball court.
“Kids today like to play Playstation and stay inside. To beautify this park and upgrade the facilities is important to me” Haith said.
Haith plans to hold basketball camps for elementary school kids at the new basketball courts.
Park officials say without the donations, the improvements would have taken four to five years.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Woman killed in wreck on southbound Business 85 in High Point
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- Woman admits to stealing toy from child's grave, explains why she did it