Downtown Greensboro is ‘going to the dogs’
GREENSBORO, N.C. — The city of Greensboro tried a Pop Up Promenade earlier this year, and now city officials are constructing a Pop Up Dog Park.
The park will be located at the corner of South Elm and Lee Streets, where the city is working on the South Elm Street Development Plan.
While plans are still being finalized, Action Greensboro wants to draw people and their pooches downtown.
“We thought it would be a great way to test a dog park in both the geographical region, but also asked does Greensboro need another dog park?” explained Cecelia Thompson, with Action Greensboro.
Will Slater lives downtown and owns a dog. The two go to Country Park to play catch, but Slater says that’s quite the drive and having a dog park downtown would make things much easier.
“It would be great to just put her on a leash and walk over there [points downtown] and not have to load her in a car,” he explained.
The Pop Up Dog Park will begin its trial period at the end of the month.
After the trial, Greensboro City Planners will evaluate the popularity of the park.
“If it’s successful, there may be a plan for another dog park in downtown or maybe find another site in the city,” Thompson explained.
The Pop Up Dog Park will be open seven days a week and feature two separate entrances for large and small dogs.
- This is why you don't take a selfie next to a moving train
- 24 people apply for 'World's Toughest Job,' get an emotional surprise at end of interview
- 79-year-old 'Britain's Got Talent' dancer stuns Simon Cowell with her moves
- Watch WWE's touching tribute to The Ultimate Warrior
- 'Blood moon' timeline: Event will be a sight to behold, weather permitting