WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. -- Students at Carver High School returned to class for the first time on Tuesday following a shooting incident last week.
On Friday, 18-year-old Christopher Lamont Richardson reportedly shot 15-year-old Antwain Porter following a dispute. Carver High Principal Ronald Travis said the victim, who is a football player, is “recovering fine.”
Winston-Salem Police Chief Barry Rountree said the high school will have an increased police presence on Tuesday. Crisis counselors will also be available if needed.
“We will have increased presence — not only here at Carver, but at all our high schools throughout the district,” he said.
The Carver High football team played RJ Reynolds on Monday night in a game that was originally scheduled for Friday night. Carver won the game 50-0.
Porter plays on the football team. Football players and fans said a prayer and held a moment of silence before Monday’s game in his honor. His friends and teammates describe him as a good, caring guy.
Sophomore Cornelius Cribble was right next to Porter during the shooting.
“I just thank God it wasn’t me. When I saw him get shot, honestly everything went so fast, I was so shocked I couldn’t believe this is really happening,” Cribble said.
Extra police officers, including Officer Tim Wilson who took down the suspected shooter, were patrolling the stadium during Monday night’s game. Wilson did not talk to FOX8 on camera, but he did say he’s received a lot of “thank you’s” from the community.