WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — Police say they believe Friday’s shooting at Carver High School was an isolated incident that was the result of a dispute, adding that no other students or faculty were targeted.
During a news conference on Monday, Winston-Salem Police Chief Barry Rountree said investigators believe the 15-year-old victim was shot by Christopher Lamont Richardson as the result of a dispute between the two.
Rountree said he will not discuss the nature of past disputes between victim and suspect, but said it was just between the two of them.
The victim, who was identified by parents and students as Antwain Porter, has been released from hospital. Carver High Principal Ronald Travis said the victim, who is a football player, is “recovering fine.”
Travis would not provide a timetable for the victim’s return to school.
No other students, faculty or staff were ever a target, according to Chief Rountree. “We feel that Carver High School is safe,” he said.
Carver’s Friday night football game against RJ Reynolds High was postponed after the shooting. It is set to be played at 6 p.m. Monday.
In regards to the game, Rountree said there will be an increased police presence.
“We feel we have a safe environment for the school tonight,” Rountree said. “I will not discuss the numbers of our deployment, but we will have extra officers on hand at tonight’s game.”
Rountree says the high school will also have an increased police presence on Tuesday when students return to school.
“We will have increased presence — not only here at Carver, but at all our high schools throughout the district,” he said.
Principal Travis said Carver High does not warrant any additional protection compared to other schools.
“We do not serve a student body here that has to be patrolled by armed guards,” Travis said.
Superintendent Beverly Emory said Carver is a “safe school,” and this “could have happened anywhere.”
School Board Vice Chair John Davenport said Carver will not be singled out for extra security.
The school will have crisis counselors on campus on Tuesday.
Richardson was jailed under a $50,000 bond after the shooting. He is charged with carrying a concealed weapon, possession of a firearm on school property, assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury and discharging a firearm within city limits.
Rountree says investigators have not been able to determine who owned the gun Richardson used in the shooting.
The shooting marks the second gun-related incident at Carver so far this year. Back in January, a Carver student was charged with possession of a weapon on school property for bringing a gun to school.