6 tips and 3 recipes for canning summer fruits, veggies
GREENSBORO, N.C. — Chef Jay Pierce with Lucky 32 offered up these recipes to help make your summer fruits and vegetables last.
In addition, Pierce offers the following canning tips:
- Get a good book to go by — USDA and canning product companies sell books.
- Determine if your recipe has enough acid to be processed in a boiling water canner, otherwise it must be pressure canned.
- Canning is only necessary if you will store the food at room temperature.
- Cleanliness is key. Lack of cleanliness can ruin the best of recipes.
- Be prepared to make a mess, and be happy if you don’t.
- Reuse jars and rings; replace lids.