Law enforcement to monitor Elon for underage drinking this weekend
ELON, N.C. — Law enforcement agencies will be patrolling Elon University this weekend as part of an underage drinking enforcement campaign.
According to The Burlington Times-News, Elon Police Department and Alamance Citizens for a Drug Free Community are hosting the campaign. Officers from Elon University Campus Police and Gibsonville and Burlington police departments will be patrolling the town by vehicle, bicycle and foot to enforce alcohol and drug laws.
“It’s an effort to draw awareness to the prevalence of underage drinking, binge drinking, drug use, those kinds of things,” Cliff Parker, chief of Elon police told the paper. “It’s a standard operation we and other departments do from time to time for crime prevention.”
Parker said though the department patrols similarly on a regular basis, they wanted to conduct a saturation patrol operation early in the academic year to raise awareness and be visible to students.
Officers will be writing citations for possession of alcohol by persons under 21, possessing an open container of alcohol and a range of other violations.
Read more: Burlington Times-News
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- Update: Silver Alert canceled for Forsyth County woman
- Video captures suspect stealing items from baby's grave