Gibsonville murder suspect appears in court

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

GREENSBORO, N.C. -- 30-year-old Takila Valencia Morris had her first court appearance Monday at the Guilford County Courthouse.

Gibsonville Police believe she is the woman who shot and killed the owner of Ken's Quickie Mart on West Main Street in July.

She faces a charge of first degree murder and another of attempted robbery with a deadly weapon.

A conviction on the murder charge could result in the death penalty.

Morris said almost nothing as Judge Tom Jarrell made we aware of her charges and the potential consequences and asked her if she had a lawyer.

She'll remain in jail with no bond at least until her next court date on October 3.

In a search warrant, the Gibsonville Police laid out their case for arresting Morris.

The warrant says police observed a struggle on surveillance video. During that struggle, store owner Paresh Shah exposed the suspect's chest, clearly showing a female breast.

After the suspect on video shot Shah, he was still able to slam her into the counter so hard that "portions of the counter shook," according to the warrant.

Shah then tried to barricade himself behind a door, but the suspect picked up her dark revolver (lost during the struggle) and shot Shah twice, killing him. He was 61.

Shah's counterattack on the suspect left her injured. She limped off in the direction of the railroad tracks northwest of the store, the warrant said. There the suspect dropped a black nylon stalking, and a witness saw her leave.

The warrant says Alfreeda Morris was hosting a party at her Slade Street apartment that night. Alfreeda Morris told her landlord Takila Morris had fallen down the stairs and been admitted to the intensive care unit of a hospital as a result, according to the warrant.

The landlord was concerned about a potential civil lawsuit and went to investigate the stairs but found no sign of a fall, the warrant said.

Police also found no sign of a fall, the warrant said.

Also according to the warrant, Takila Morris was injured so badly in this unconfirmed fall that her boyfriend, a man who goes by the alias of "New York" had to carry her to the car and drive her to Moses Cone Hospital in Greensboro.

The warrant claims Morris's height, weight, and age match the description of the suspect, as seen on the surveillance video.

According to the warrant, police seized .38-caliber ammunition, clothing, and drug paraphernalia from Morris's room at the Slade Street apartment. Upon her arrest they also took DNA evidence.